cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMA for PCIe on i.MX 8M Plus & Mini

mandre
Contributor II

Hello

I am trying to use a DMA inside the i.MX 8M to perform write transactions to a PCIe endpoint. We haven’t fully decided yet between the i.MX 8M Mini and i.MX 8M Plus, I would appreciate if both of those processors could be considered in the answer.

I understand from the Processor Reference Manuals and forum posts that the SDMA cannot be used for this, but the manual refers to an "Embedded DMA" (IMX8MPRM chapter 11.4.2.4). I can't see any such DMA engine registered within the Linux subsystem. dma_request_channel() only returns SDMA channels, same in the sysfs. I can't see any reference to a DMA in pci-imx6.c (driver used for i.MX 8 as well).

The “AN13164 - iMX8MP PCIe Bandwidth Analysis” calls out that a DMA transfer is used, but no source code is provided. There is also a community thread about this: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/iMX8M-Plus-PCIe-DMA-Feature/td-p/1529555. Linux v5.4.70 (version used for AN13164) doesn't have any reference to DMA in pcitest.c or pci-epf-test.c. Also, I can't find any function called imx6_pcie_local_dma_start() as indicated in the community thread above in any version of mainline Linux.

A post about a similar test on the i.MX6 (https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX6Q-PCIe-EP-RC-Validation-System/ta-p...) refers that the IPU was used for the DMA transfer, but the i.MX 8M doesn't have any such IPU.

I also can't find any reference to a DMA for PCIe in the Linux Reference Manual.

My questions: 

• How can we use a DMA engine of the i.MX 8M (Plus/Mini) to transfer data from the system DDR memory to a PCIe endpoint device? Do you have any Linux driver for this? Any examples?
  • Can you provide the exact source code & scripts & command line that were used for AN13164 generate those test results? Which DMA engine was used?
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

@joanxie  please continue with the follow-up.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I already replied to the customer via mail, because I couldn't access the community last week

0 Kudos

mandre
Contributor II

Please check your support ticket #0062962

You did reply answering 1 of my 4 questions on June 28, 7:23am via the NXP support ticketing system. I replied to this on June 28, 9:13am with a follow-up question and the the re-iteration of the un-answered questions.

I haven't heard since (neither publicly on the forum nor via the support ticket).

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I just mailed to you attach my previous reply, as I mentioned, I couldn't access the community last week, I mailed to you, maybe the system issue, I screen shot it, you can check, I'm waiting for you cable and test result

0 Kudos

mandre
Contributor II

I replied to your email on Friday, please check. Haven't heard back yet.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

mail to you, pls check

0 Kudos