Config Tools for i.MX -> U-boot crashes

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config Tools for i.MX -> U-boot crashes

melon87
Contributor I

I have a custom DDR4 imx 8 plus design. I am having a really difficult time getting this working and would really appreciate further support. I worry we cant take NXP forward in this design otherwise.

I am using Config Tools for i.MX which does pass training. When I copy the timing file (timing.c) generated by Config Tools u-boot crashes.

To check my setup, I used Config Tools to generate timing.c for the LP-DDR evaluation kit and uboot was fine!

When I use the default ddr4 timing.c file from the evaluation kit, uboot on my custom PCB does boot but for a slow DDR4 clock speed.

Why is DDR4 on my custom PCB not working using the timing.c output from Config Tools whilst training passed?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Could you share the steps you have followed when building your own uboot?
Also, please share the uboot version you're working with.

Best regards/Saludos,
Aldo.

0 Kudos

melon87
Contributor I

@AldoG Thank you for helping me

We are following the i.MX Linux User's Guide (IMXLUG) LF6.1.55_2.2.0 15 December 2023 when we are building U-Boot.

Our code comes from the repo at https://github.com/nxp-imx/uboot-imx and we are using the branch lf_v2023.04.

To compile U-Boot, we cd to the Uboot code and then run these commands:

export CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-elf-

make distclean
make imx8mp_ddr4_evk_defconfig
make

We then copy u-boot.bin and u-boot-spl.bin to the imx-mkimage code, cd to this location and run these commands to make the image:

make SOC=iMX8MP flash_ddr4_evk

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I believe that you have skkiped some steps here and there, please confirm, I can share some steps to build in standalone for the i.MX8MScale devices.

When you copied your timing.c file to uboot before build, did you rename it accordinlgly (ddr4_timing.c)?

Best regards/Saludos,
Aldo.

0 Kudos

melon87
Contributor I

@AldoG  

We used the Config Tools for i.MX V15 to generate the timing file. It generated a file called ddr4_timing.c so there was no need to change the name. I replaced the default version of ddr4_timing.c in u-boot with the generated version prior to compiling.

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Thank you for sharing more information, could you share at which point did uboot crashed?
Or does not even boot?

Best regards/Saludos,
Aldo.

0 Kudos