cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buiding flash_uboot.bin for iMX8QX MEK board

Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi All,

I am trying to build a SCU FW for SPI flash in iMX8QX MEK board. But for SPI flash a flash_uboot.bin file is required as per the documentation. How to build the flash_uboot.bin? Is yocto image build the only way to build the uboot. Is there any steps for building the u-boot binary file.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos
4 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

When you build flash.bin, you used "make SOC=imx8qx flash" command.

For flash_uboot.bin, you can use "make SOC=imx8qx flash_flexspi" ,  you can get related messages from imx-mkimage/iMX8QX/soc.mak.

flash_flexspi: $(MKIMG) $(AHAB_IMG) scfw_tcm.bin u-boot-atf.bin $(QSPI_HEADER)

./$(MKIMG) -soc QX -rev B0 -dev flexspi -append $(AHAB_IMG) -c -scfw scfw_tcm.bin -ap u-boot-atf.bin a35 0x80000000 -out flash.bin

./$(QSPI_PACKER) $(QSPI_HEADER)

u-boot-atf.bin: u-boot-hash.bin bl31.bin

@cp bl31.bin u-boot-atf.bin

@DD if=u-boot-hash.bin of=u-boot-atf.bin bs=1K seek=128

u-boot-hash.bin: u-boot.bin

./$(MKIMG) -commit > head.hash

@cat u-boot.bin head.hash > u-boot-hash.bin

So relations are like this : u-boot.bin + head hash-->u-boot-hash.bin + bl31.bin-->u-boot-atf.bin + scfw_tcm.bin-->flash_flexspi--->flash_uboot.bin

Hope these decriptions are helpful to you.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos

Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @weidong_sun ,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the process for creation of flash_uboot.bin. But in order to create the flash_flexspi.bin we need files like u-boot.bin, u-boot-hash.bin and bl32.bin. Where do i find these files. Or how to generate them. I do not know about u-boot. If we need to build these files can you let me know of the process to do it.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,Ramprakash 

Actually, you can build flash.bin for i.mx8qx manually. My colleague wrote a document on how to do it for L4.14.98 bsp.

See the link, please!

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX8-Boot-process-and-creating-a-bootab...

you can modify version number according to the bsp you are using.

there is a one difference on geting SECO firmware, if you are using 5.4.70_2.3.0, SECO FW can be got like below:

# wget http://www.nxp.com/lgfiles/NMG/MAD/YOCTO/imx-seco-3.7.4.bin

# chmod a+x imx-seco-3.7.4.bin

# ./imx-seco-3.7.4.bin

Then you will get files below:

mx8dxla0-ahab-container.img

mx8dxla1-ahab-container.img

mx8qmb0-ahab-container.img

mx8qxb0-ahab-container.img

mx8qxc0-ahab-container.img

SECO_FW_release_note.pdf

You can select one you want to use.

[Note]

Try it ,please!

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos

Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @weidong_sun ,

Thanks for the reply. 

I already used the document which you have provided to build flash.bin. But I need to boot the SPI flash with the SCU FW for which I need both flash.bin and flash_uboot.bin. For flash_uboot I could hot find any other documents apart from the one for Yocto. I did try using yocto build for the generating flash_uboot. But I did not find any UBOOT config parameter under local.conf file as mentioned in the Yocto documentation. Can you please help me with generating the flash_uboot.bin file. I there is any previously built file please do share.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos