8ULP debugged using serial download mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8ULP debugged using serial download mode

ko1596
Contributor I

I'm currently working on developing M33 for the i.mx8ULP platform. Unfortunately, the Evaluation Kit (EVK) provided by our solutions provider lacks a JTAG interface, requiring me to use the serial download mode for firmware updates.

To give you an overview of my debugging process for M33: I start by downloading the official SDK and using the MCUXpresso VSCode plugin to compile sdk20-app.bin. Following this, I rename sdk20-app.bin to m33_image.bin, as per the instructions provided by our solutions provider, and use the make SOC=iMX8ULP REV=A1 flash_singleboot_m33 command within the imx-boot tarball to package it into flash.bin. The final step involves burning this flash.bin to the M33 using UUU in serial download mode.

This workflow, however, seems highly inefficient to me. I'm curious if it's possible to streamline the debugging process by utilizing GDB within MCUXpresso for VSCode?

As someone new to 8ULP development, I'm in search of comprehensive learning materials specific to M33. Despite having reviewed various resources such as Industrial Products, the Reference Manual, and the Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for EVK, I still find myself uncertain about the origins of the programming and compiling techniques I'm currently employing.

For reference, I'm using SDK version SDK_2_15_000_MIMX8UD7xxx08 and the arm-gnu-toolchain-12.2.rel1-x86_64-arm-none-eabi toolchain.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

abdrhmn
Contributor I

Hi, @Chavira 

The documentation that you provided is for iMX mini (if not mistaken). I also working on M33 8ULP platform. I checked from the MCUXpresso it seem 8ULP board is not available. Is there any equivalent board available in the MCU can be used for debugging? I worked on Lpuart edma, it is hard to debug without using JTAG.

0 Kudos

Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @abdrhmn!

The SDK for iMX8ULP is avaiable on our webpage!

Chavira_0-1707761442544.png

Best Regards!

Chavira

0 Kudos

Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ko1596!
Thank you for contacting NXP Support!

Yes is possible to debug the M core using a debugger.

Please check the guide below on how to debug the iMX Processor using VS Code.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Use-Segger-J-Link-Plus-with-i-MX-...

The guide is based on iMX8MN but is the same for iMX8ULP.

Best Regards!
Chavira

0 Kudos

ko1596
Contributor I
In the first section, I mentioned that the supplier's EVK did not leave a JTAG interface, so this method is probably not applicable.
0 Kudos

Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ko1596!

To debug the M core, we need the JTAG interface.

Sorry for the mistake!

Best Regards!
Chavira

0 Kudos

ko1596
Contributor I

So if you use jtag, you can just burn it without going through serial download mode?

0 Kudos