Expend i.MX8M/93 Capability to Connect FPGA/CPLD by FlexSPI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction

ARM SoC+FPGA/CPLD is widely used in some application like industry control and data acquisition system, there were many customers adopted i.MX6 EIM (a memory parallel interface) to access FPGA/CPLD, and archived good data throughput, but EIM is removed from i.MX8M and i.MX9, some customers is asking for such a compatible solution for i.MX8/8M and coming i.MX9 family.  FlexSPI is designed for connecting storage devices like NOR Flash, integrated in most of i.MXRT/i.MX8/LS products and provides flexible configuration for 4-wire/8wire working mode, this article provides a low-cost and efficiency demo to show how  to support CPLD/FPGA  via FlexSPI, as a replacement of EIM for EP i.MX8/9/LS products.

key features

1. Implement a  new kernel driver for FlexSPI to support read/write access to FPGA/CPLD.
  2. Support two type connections: Support 4-wire(QSPI) and 8-wire(HypeBUS, OctalSPI)

Deliverables

1. A new kernel driver for FlexSPI to support read/write access to FPGA/CPLD by AHB command
  2. A kernel patch to disable the QSPI Flash in kernel
  3. A test program shows how to do read/write performance test.

Hardware

Hardware Prepare:

i.MX8MM-LPDDR4-EVK

Lattice LFE5U EVK

fuzhenlin_0-1690194268371.png

Figure1 4-wire SPI HW Block diagram

fuzhenlin_1-1690194328119.png

Figure2 8-wire OctalSPI

Hardware Rework on i.MX8MM-EVK

1 Need to remove the SPI-Flash(U5, MT25QU256ABA) on the i.MX8MM-EVK board, and wire below signals:

QSPI_DATA0

QSPI_DATA1

QSPI_DATA2

QSPI_DATA3

QSPI_SCLK

QSPI_nSS0

VDD_1V8

GND

fuzhenlin_2-1690195893230.jpeg

Figure3 QPSI signals for FPGA/CPLD

fuzhenlin_4-1690196152847.png

Figure4 Hardware rework on i.MX8MM-EVK board

Note that, i.MX8MM-EVK QSPI power rails is 1.8v, so be careful that the FPGA/CPLD side IO should be 1.8V.

Software

BSP version

1 Linux BSP version: L5.10.52

Software Change

1.  Apply 0001-FlexSPI-FPGA-need-to-disable-flexspi-for-fpga-usage.patch in Linux kernel and generate the new dtb
  2. extract the flexspi-fpga driver
  3. compile the flexspi-fpga driver with the kernel$
$make -C $(YOUR_KDIR) M=$(FlexSPI_FPGAW_DIVER_DIR) modules ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=$(CROSS_COMPILE)

Deployment 

1. upload new generated i.mx8mm-evk.dtb to the target board(the 1st partition)
  2. upload the flex-spi driver and fpga/cpld test program to the target board

Test

Test1: Set the flexspi working at 40Mhz

$insmod imx_flexspi_fpga.ko pre_div=2 post_div=5

Read/write FPGA/CPLD test

.$/flexspi_fpga_test -p 0x08000000 -s 768

Test2: Set the FlexSPI working at 100MHz

$ insmod imx_flexspi_fpga.ko pre_div=1 post_div=4

Read/write FPGA/CPLD test

$./flexspi_fpga_test -p 0x08000000 -s 768

Limitation

1. FPGA and Flash devices can’t work at the same time due to just one FlexSPI controller.
  2. Due to the IO assignment conflict in i.MX8M EVK design, this demo just tested 4-wire(QSPI) mode at 50MHz and got data throughput as expected.

Disclaimer:

− “Any support, information, and technology (“Materials”) provided by NXP are provided AS IS, without any warranty express or implied, and NXP disclaims all direct and indirect liability and damages in connection with the Material to the maximum extent permitted by the applicable law. NXP accepts no liability for any assistance with applications or product design. Materials may only be used in connection with NXP products. Any feedback provided to NXP regarding the Materials may be used by NXP without restriction.”

Attachments
Comments

Can I get the test source code?

Hi fuzhenlin,@fuzhenlin

Have a good day, we plan  to connect FPGA on i.MX93 through flexspi, could you share source code of "flexspi_fpga_test" , thanks a lot

Hi,OTan

send me an email(335266746@qq.com), i will send a demo to you.

I've built flexspi_fpga_driver of kernel. and then used your flexspi_fpga_test.

Before connect FPGA, just checked signals (clk, cs, data0). it seems right.

I've also hecked that clock is right by scope. (40MHz and 100MHz)

I plan  to connect FPGA on i.MX8M plus through flexspi, could you share source code of "flexspi_fpga_test"? , thanks a lot.

Hi Fuzhenlin 

Can you please provide us with the source code of  flexspi_fpga_test.zip ?

Thanks.

Regards, 

Jack 

100% helpful (2/2)
Version history
Last update:
‎08-07-2023 02:22 AM
Updated by: