Enhance cryptodev and its engine in OpenSSL by CAAM's public key cryptography operations

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhance cryptodev and its engine in OpenSSL by CAAM's public key cryptography operations

100% helpful (3/3)

OpenSSL is popular software library for applications that secure communications over computer networks against eavesdropping or need to identify the party at the other end. It is widely used in internet web servers, serving a majority of all web sites. OpenSSL contains an open-source implementation of the Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocols, it is a robust, commercial-grade, and full-featured toolkit for the SSL and TLS protocols. OpenSSL is also a general-purpose cryptography library. Its core library, written in the C programming language, implements basic cryptographic functions and provides various utility functions. Wrappers allowing the use of the OpenSSL library in a variety of computer languages are available. More and more embeded systems, like IoT gateway, ePOS, based on i.MX use OpenSSL for their secure communications and cryptographic operations. But it's cryptography library is pure software implementation which need to occupy lots of CPU resouce and the perfermance is very weak than dedicated hardware IP (like CAAM). 

CAAM is the i.MX's cryptographic acceleration and assurance module, which serves as NXP's latest cryptographic acceleration and offloading hardware. It combines functions previously implemented in separate modules to create a modular and scalable acceleration and assurance engine. It also implements block encryption algorithms, stream cipher algorithms, hashing algorithms, public key algorithms (i.MX6UL/i.MX7D/S), and a hardware random number generator.

The official Yocto release (L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga) of the i.MX only enable cryptodev for accelerating symmetric algorithms and hashing algorithms, not support asymmetric algorithms(RSA, ECC). And its engine in OpenSSL(version 1.0.2h) also miss some features which is used to support symmetric algorithms and hashing algorithms, for example, AES ECB, SHA224/256, etc. These patches in the post will close the above gaps for i.MX Linux system. The software environments as the belows:

Linux kernel: imx_4.1.15_2.0.0_ga

cryptodev: 1.8

OpenSSL: 1.0.2h

The patches include the following key features:

1, Add public key cryptography part in CAAM driver, through protocol commands, to implement a number of public (and private) key functions. These are DSA and ECDSA sign/verify, Diffie-Hellman (DH) and ECDH key agreement, ECC key generation, DLC key generation, RSA encryption/decryption, RSA key-generation finalization.

2, Add big number operation and elliptic curve math in CAAM driver to implement addition, subtraction, multiplication, exponentiation, reduction, inversion, greatest common divisor, prime testing and point add, point double, point multiply.

3, Add API in cryptodev to support RSA encryption/decryption, DSA/ECDSA sign/verify, DH/ECDH key agreement, ECC & DLC & RSA key generation and big number operation and elliptic curve math.

4, Add public key cryptography functions, hardware rng, and missing hash symmetric algorithms in OpenSSL crytodev engine.

Note:

1, You can refer to ecdhtest.c, ecdsatest.c, dhtest.c, dsatest.c, rsa_test.c for how to use crytodev engine in your applications based on libcryto.so. You can also find their executable programs in folder openssl-1.0.2h/test after compiling.

2, If you want to call crytodev API directly to accelerate public key cryptography operations, please refer to asymmetric_cipher.c in cryptodev-linux-1.8/tests.

Current Limitation:

1, CAAM driver don't support AES GCM/CCM but hardware supporting. I plan to add the feature next version.

2, ECDSA sign/verify will fail on some binary curves (sect163r1, sect163r2, sect193r1, sect193r2, sect233r1, sect283r1, sect409r1, sect571r1 and X9.62 binary curves). I will try to find the root cause and fix it.

====================================

for  some binary curves (sect163r1, sect163r2, sect193r1, sect193r2, sect233r1, sect283r1, sect409r1, sect571r1 and X9.62 binary curves)  are rarely used, so i will try to find the root cause when i'm free. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++    updating for Linux-4.14.78-1.1.10 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This updating is for Yocto release of Linux -4.14.78-1.1.10. The new software environments as the belows:

Linux kernel: imx_4.14.78_1.1.10

cryptodev: 1.9

OpenSSL: 1.0.2p

HW platform: i.MX6UL, i.MX7D/S, i.MX8M/8M Mini, i.MX8/8X.

The patches include the following new features:

1, support  RSA key generation but defaultly use openssl build-in function (BN_generate_prime_ex) to create prime p, q for higher security. If need to use CAAM accelerating,  please comment Macro USE_BUILTIN_PRIME_GENERATION, but don't confirm its security.

2, Add Manufacturing-protection feature, and you can refer to manufacturing_protection_test function in asymmetric_cipher.c.

3, Support AES GCM in cryptodev.

4, git clone https://gitee.com/zxd2021-imx/meta-openssl-caam.git, git checkout Linux-4.14.78-1.1.10 and copy meta-openssl-caam to folder <Yocto 4.14.78-1.1.10 dir>/sources/

5, Run DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx6ulevk source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-imx6ulevk and add BBLAYERS += " ${BSPDIR}/sources/meta-openssl-caam " into /build-imx6ulevk/conf/bblayers.conf

6, bitbake fsl-image-validation-imx

7, Run the below command on your i.MX6UL EVK board.

modprobe cryptodev

openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 512 -elapsed
openssl speed dsa -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 1024 -elapsed
openssl speed rsa -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 2048 -elapsed
openssl speed ecdsa -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 3072 -elapsed
openssl speed ecdh -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 4096 -elapsed

openssl speed -evp sha256 -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-ecb -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-cfb -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-ofb -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-ede3 -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-cbc -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-ede3-cfb -engine cryptodev -elapsed

+++++++++++++++++++++++    updating for Linux-4.14.98-2.3.3 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This updating is for Yocto release of Linux -4.14.98-2.3.3. The new software environments as the belows:

Linux kernel: imx_4.14.98-2.3.3

HW platform: i.MX6UL, i.MX7D/S, i.MX8M/8M Mini/8M Nano, i.MX8/8X.

1, git clone https://gitee.com/zxd2021-imx/meta-openssl-caam.git, git checkout Linux-4.14.98-2.3.3 and copy meta-openssl-caam to folder <Yocto 4.14.98-2.3.3 dir>/sources/

2, Run DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-imx8mmevk and add BBLAYERS += " ${BSPDIR}/sources/meta-openssl-caam " into /build-imx8mmevk/conf/bblayers.conf

3, bitbake fsl-image-validation-imx

4, Run the below command on your i.MX8M Mini EVK board.

modprobe cryptodev

openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 512 -elapsed
openssl speed dsa -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 1024 -elapsed
openssl speed rsa -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 2048 -elapsed
openssl speed ecdsa -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 3072 -elapsed
openssl speed ecdh -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine cryptodev 4096 -elapsed

openssl speed -evp sha256 -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-ecb -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-cfb -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-ofb -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-ede3 -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-cbc -engine cryptodev -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-ede3-cfb -engine cryptodev -elapsed

+++++++++++++++++++++++    updating for Linux-4.19.35-1.1.2 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This updating is for Yocto release of Linux 4.19.35-1.1.2​​. 

Software environments as the belows:

Linux kernel: imx_4.19.35-1.1.2

cryptodev: 1.10

OpenSSL: 1.1.1l

HW platform: i.MX6UL, i.MX7D/S, i.MX8M/8M Mini/8M Nano, i.MX8/8X.

How to build:

1, git clone https://gitee.com/zxd2021-imx/meta-openssl-caam.git, git checkout Linux-4.19.35-1.1.2 and copy meta-openssl-caam to folder <Yocto 4.19.35-1.1.2 dir>/sources/

2, Run DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk source imx-setup-release.sh -b build-imx8mmevk and add BBLAYERS += " ${BSPDIR}/sources/meta-openssl-caam " into <Yocto 4.19.35-1.1.2 dir>/build-imx8mmevk/conf/bblayers.conf.

3, Run bitbake fsl-image-validation-imx.

modprobe cryptodev

openssl speed dsa
openssl speed rsa
openssl speed ecdsa
openssl speed ecdh

openssl genrsa -f4 -engine devcrypto 512
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine devcrypto 1024
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine devcrypto 2048
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine devcrypto 3072
openssl genrsa -f4 -engine devcrypto 4096

openssl speed -evp sha256 -engine devcrypto -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -engine devcrypto -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-ecb -engine devcrypto -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-cfb -engine devcrypto -elapsed
openssl speed -evp aes-128-ofb -engine devcrypto -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-ede3 -engine devcrypto -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-cbc -engine devcrypto -elapsed
openssl speed -evp des-ede3-cfb -engine devcrypto -elapsed

+++++++++++++++++++++++    updating for Linux-5.4.70-2.3.4 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This updating is for Yocto release of Linux 5.4.70_2.3.4​​. 

Linux kernel: imx_5.4.70_2.3.4

cryptodev: 1.10

HW platform: i.MX6UL, i.MX7D/S, i.MX8M/8M Mini/8M Nano/8M Plus, i.MX8/8X.

How to build:

1, git clone https://gitee.com/zxd2021-imx/meta-openssl-caam.git, git checkout Linux-5.4.70-2.3.4  and copy meta-openssl-caam to folder <Yocto 5.4.70_2.3.4 dir>/sources/

2, Run DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk source imx-setup-release.sh -b build-imx8mmevk and add BBLAYERS += " ${BSPDIR}/sources/meta-openssl-caam " into <Yocto 5.4.70_2.3.4 dir>/build-imx8mmevk/conf/bblayers.conf.

3, Run bitbake imx-image-multimedia.

modprobe cryptodev

openssl speed dsa
openssl speed rsa
openssl speed ecdsa
openssl speed ecdh

+++++++++++++++++++++++    updating for Linux-5.10.52-2.1.0 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This updating is for Yocto release of Linux 5.10.52_2.1.0​​. 

Linux kernel: lf-5.10.y

cryptodev: 1.12

How to build:

1, git clone https://gitee.com/zxd2021-imx/meta-openssl-caam.git, git checkout Linux-5.10.52-2.1.0 and copy meta-openssl-caam to folder <Yocto 5.10.52_2.1.0 dir>/sources/

2, Run DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk source imx-setup-release.sh -b build-imx8mmevk and add BBLAYERS += " ${BSPDIR}/sources/meta-openssl-caam " into <Yocto 5.10.52_2.1.0 dir>/build-imx8mmevk/conf/bblayers.conf.

modprobe cryptodev

openssl speed dsa
openssl speed rsa
openssl speed ecdsa
openssl speed ecdh

+++++++++++++++++++++++    updating for Linux-5.15.71-2.2.0 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This updating is for Yocto release of Linux 5.15.71-2.2.0​​. 

Linux kernel: lf-5.15.71-2.2.0

cryptodev: 1.12

OpenSSL: 3.1.0

How to build:

1, git clone https://gitee.com/zxd2021-imx/meta-openssl-caam.git, git checkout Linux-5.15.71-2.2.0 and copy meta-openssl-caam to folder <Yocto 5.15.71_2.2.0 dir>/sources/

2, Run DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk source imx-setup-release.sh -b build-imx8mmevk and add BBLAYERS += " ${BSPDIR}/sources/meta-openssl-caam " into <Yocto 5.15.71_2.2.0 dir>/build-imx8mmevk/conf/bblayers.conf.

modprobe cryptodev

openssl speed sm2
openssl speed dsa
openssl speed rsa
openssl speed ecdsa
openssl speed ecdh

Attachments
Comments

Has any of these patches already been integrated in the latest Linux 4.9.88_2.0.0 Yocto Release for i.MX6UL?

Hi Adrian,

I complete to port these patches to L4.9.88_2.0.0. But L4.9.88_2.0.0 don't support i.MX8X/8QM, also not i.MX8M GA release. So I plan to upload updated patched after integrating them into L4.14.62 which is GA release for i.MX8X/8QM/8M Mini/8MQ and legacy i.MX.

Complete to port these patches to L4.14.78 GA. The new software environments as the belows:

Linux kernel: imx_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga

HW platform: i.MX6UL, i.MX7D/S, i.MX8M/MM, i.MX8QM/QXP.

1, support  RSA key generation but defaultly use openssl build-in function (BN_generate_prime_ex) to create prime p, q for higher security. If need to use CAAM accelerating,  please comment Macro USE_BUILTIN_PRIME_GENERATION, but don't confirm its security.

2, Add Manufacturing-protection feature, and you can refer to manufacturing_protection_test function in asymmetric_cipher.c.

3, Support AES GCM in cryptodev.

4, run "git apply 0001-Enhance-cryptodev-and-its-engine-in-OpenSSL-by-CAAM-.patch" under folder sources/poky, and "git apply 0001-Add-public-key-cryptography-operations-in-CAAM-drive.patch, git apply 0002-Fix-the-hash-issue-in-caamhash.c-due-to-aligned-outp.patch" under folder sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release for patch these codes.

Note: HMAC feature has the issue on i.MX8M/MM, i.MX8QM/QXP. I already raise the issue to SW guy to fix it.

Dear @xiaodong_zhang,

I am facing the following error while bitbaking the iMX Robot Platform v3.1-L5.15.71-2.2.0 instructed in https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-%E6%9C%BA%E5%99%A8%E4%BA%BA%E5%B9%B...

ERROR: openssl-3.1.0.imx-r0 do_patch: Applying patch '0001-Enhance-cryptodev-s-engine-by-CAAM-public-key-crypto.patch' on target directory '/workdir/imx-yocto-bsp-5_15_71-2_2_x-robotics/imx8mpevk-robot-humble/tmp/work/armv8a-poky-linux/openssl/3.1.0.imx-r0/openssl-3.1.0.imx'
CmdError('quilt --quiltrc /workdir/imx-yocto-bsp-5_15_71-2_2_x-robotics/imx8mpevk-robot-humble/tmp/work/armv8a-poky-linux/openssl/3.1.0.imx-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/etc/quiltrc push', 0, 'stdout: Applying patch 0001-Enhance-cryptodev-s-engine-by-CAAM-public-key-crypto.patch
patching file apps/speed.c
patching file crypto/ec/ec_curve.c
patching file crypto/ec/ec_key.c
patching file crypto/ec/ec_local.h
patching file crypto/sm2/sm2_crypt.c
patching file crypto/sm2/sm2_sign.c
patching file engines/e_devcrypto.c
Hunk #10 FAILED at 747.
Hunk #11 FAILED at 774.
Hunk #12 succeeded at 808 (offset -14 lines).
Hunk #13 succeeded at 984 (offset -14 lines).
Hunk #14 succeeded at 1061 (offset -14 lines).
Hunk #15 succeeded at 1499 (offset -14 lines).
2 out of 15 hunks FAILED -- rejects in file engines/e_devcrypto.c
patching file test/dsatest.c
patching file test/ecdsatest.c
patching file test/rsa_test.c
Patch 0001-Enhance-cryptodev-s-engine-by-CAAM-public-key-crypto.patch does not apply (enforce with -f)

stderr: ')
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /workdir/imx-yocto-bsp-5_15_71-2_2_x-robotics/imx8mpevk-robot-humble/tmp/work/armv8a-poky-linux/openssl/3.1.0.imx-r0/temp/log.do_patch.544102
ERROR: Task (/workdir/imx-yocto-bsp-5_15_71-2_2_x-robotics/sources/meta-openssl-caam/recipes-openssl-caam/openssl/openssl_3.1.0.imx.bb:do_patch) failed with exit code '1'

I even cloned https://gitee.com/zxd2021-imx/meta-openssl-caam.git into the imx-yocto-bsp-5_15_71-2_2_x-robotics/sources and included it into imx-yocto-bsp-5_15_71-2_2_x-robotics/imx8mpevk-robot-humble/conf/bblayers.conf but the error still persists.

I observe that the patches in meta-openssl-caam/recipes-openssl-caam/openssl/openssl/ and in meta-robot-platform/imx/meta-robot/recipes-security/openssl/openssl/ are the same.

Could you help to resolve, please ?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Khang

hi @khang_letruong 

Can you attach your log.do_patch after buildinig openssl_3.1.0.imx?

Hi @xiaodong_zhang ,

I could not attach the file here therefore I sent it to you via the private message channel. Please check!

Best Regards,

Khang

This updated 0001-Enhance-cryptodev-s-engine-by-CAAM-public-key-crypto.patch works after deleting some unmatched blank lines.

Dear @Benjamin_Hu ,

Very good finding! I will give it a try. Thank you!

You may also need this patch for gmssl if running into the error of "glob" is not exported by the File::Glob module.

Hi @xiaodong_zhang , with the above patch, I can build the image but get an error when running on the target.

~# openssl speed sm2
../openssl-3.1.0.imx/apps/speed.c:1663: OpenSSL internal error: assertion failed: ed_curves[EdDSA_NUM - 1].nid == NID_ED448
Aborted
~# openssl speed -evp sha256 -engine devcrypto -elapsed
../openssl-3.1.0.imx/apps/speed.c:1663: OpenSSL internal error: assertion failed: ed_curves[EdDSA_NUM - 1].nid == NID_ED448
Aborted

By looking into openssl-3.1.0.imx source code ( build/tmp/work/cortexa72-cortexa53-tdx-linux/openssl/3.1.0.imx-r0/openssl-3.1.0.imx )in Yocto Project where it has been patched, I find the above error at line 1663 of apps/speed.c comes from the section where OPENSSL_NO_DEVCRYPTOENG is defined, measning devcrypto engine is not enabled when compiling.

1662   │ #ifdef OPENSSL_NO_DEVCRYPTOENG
1663   │     OPENSSL_assert(ed_curves[EdDSA_NUM - 1].nid == NID_ED448);
1664   │     OPENSSL_assert(strcmp(eddsa_choices[EdDSA_NUM - 1].name, "ed448") == 0);
1665   │
1666   │     OPENSSL_assert(ec_curves[EC_NUM - 1].nid == NID_X448);
1667   │     OPENSSL_assert(strcmp(ecdh_choices[EC_NUM - 1].name, "ecdhx448") == 0);
1668   │ #endif
1669   │     OPENSSL_assert(ec_curves[ECDSA_NUM - 1].nid == NID_brainpoolP512t1);
1670   │     OPENSSL_assert(strcmp(ecdsa_choices[ECDSA_NUM - 1].name, "ecdsabrp512t1") == 0)

Furthermore, I enable cryptodev-linux configuration option for OpenSSL in local.con file and try to rebuild it.

PACKAGECONFIG:append:pn-openssl = " cryptodev-linux"

However, I meet compile error.

| ../openssl-3.1.0.imx/engines/e_devcrypto.c: In function 'prepare_cipher_methods':
| ../openssl-3.1.0.imx/engines/e_devcrypto.c:764:9: error: 'do_cipher' undeclared (first use in this function)
|   764 |         do_cipher = cipher_do_cipher;
|       |         ^~~~~~~~~
| ../openssl-3.1.0.imx/engines/e_devcrypto.c:764:9: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
| ../openssl-3.1.0.imx/engines/e_devcrypto.c:769:17: error: 'init' undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean 'int'?
|   769 |                 init = cryptodev_init_aead_key;
|       |                 ^~~~
|       |                 int
| ../openssl-3.1.0.imx/engines/e_devcrypto.c:771:17: error: 'ctrl' undeclared (first use in this function)
|   771 |                 ctrl = cryptodev_cbc_hmac_sha1_ctrl;
|       |                 ^~~~
| ../openssl-3.1.0.imx/engines/e_devcrypto.c:772:17: error: 'flags' undeclared (first use in this function)
|   772 |                 flags = cipher_data[i].flags;
|       |                 ^~~~~
| ../openssl-3.1.0.imx/engines/e_devcrypto.c:789:47: error: 'ctr_do_cipher' undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean 'cipher_do_cipher'?
|   789 |                                               ctr_do_cipher :
|       |                                               ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
|       |                                               cipher_do_cipher

Again, looking into openssl-3.1.0.imx patched source code, I allocate line 764 of engines/e_devcrypto.c.

764   │         do_cipher = cipher_do_cipher;
 765   │         if (cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_128_cbc_hmac_sha1
 766   │                 || cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_256_cbc_hmac_sha1
 767   │                 || cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_128_cbc_hmac_sha256
 768   │                 || cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_256_cbc_hmac_sha256) {
 769   │                 init = cryptodev_init_aead_key;
 770   │                 do_cipher = cryptodev_aead_cipher;
 771   │                 ctrl = cryptodev_cbc_hmac_sha1_ctrl;
 772   │                 flags = cipher_data[i].flags;
───────┴─────────────────────────────────────────────────────

The undeclared errors of do_cipher, init, ctrl and flags variables are all imported from 0001-Enhance-cryptodev-s-engine-by-CAAM-public-key-crypto.patch. 

@@ -475,6 +775,16 @@ static void prepare_cipher_methods(void)

cipher_mode = cipher_data[i].flags & EVP_CIPH_MODE;

+        do_cipher = cipher_do_cipher;

+        if (cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_128_cbc_hmac_sha1
+                || cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_256_cbc_hmac_sha1
+                || cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_128_cbc_hmac_sha256
+                || cipher_data[i].nid == NID_aes_256_cbc_hmac_sha256) {
+                init = cryptodev_init_aead_key;
+                do_cipher = cryptodev_aead_cipher;
+                ctrl = cryptodev_cbc_hmac_sha1_ctrl;
+                flags = cipher_data[i].flags;
+        }

do_cipher is defined in crypto/evp.h as a member of struct evp_cipher_st. In engines/e_devcrypto.c where the error happens, do_cipher is referenced directly without any struct evp_cipher_st variable declared. It seems unusual.

Can you please help to have a look at it? Thanks very much!

Version history
Last update:
‎03-27-2023 07:42 PM
Updated by: