cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCI interface on FRDM-KW41Z Module

dhruvshah
Contributor II

Hello All, 

I want to reach out to you with for a very specific query around the NXP FRDM-KW41Z platform Bluetooth Host interface

Requirement Overview

• Linux supports BlueZ stack that can communicate with the Bluetooth modules and communicates over HCI interface
  • We are currently exploring the possibility if the NXP FRDM-KW41Z module support standard HCI interface so that it can be directly attached to any Linux System over UART and provide the BLE interface to the system

What we tried so far

• While exploring the above-mentioned point, we came across the following topics at NXP forum
  • Based on this we were able to flash the “hci_black_box” application on the FRDM-KW41Z module.
  • We are able to perform a “$ hciattach /dev/ttyACM0 any” command successful. This command ensures that the FRDM-KW41Z module is attached to the system as an HCI device
  • We are also able to perform a low energy scan using the following command and the list of available LE devices is getting populated
    • $ sudo hcitool lescan

Problem statement

1. We are not able to perform the standard Bluetooth Scan with the application using the following command  
    • $ sudo hcitool scan
  2. We are not able to locate the "device name" (Linux system) in BLE scanner applications even when the settings say that the device is visible.

Queries

1. Can NXPs KW41Z chipset be used a Bluetooth NCP (network coprocessor) over HCI interface?
  2. Are there any other details available regarding the HCI interface supported by the FRDM-KW41Z module?

Thank you.

Regards

Dhruv Shah

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

• Can NXPs KW41Z chipset be used a Bluetooth NCP (network coprocessor) over HCI interface?

Yes, it can be used like that.

• Are there any other details available regarding the HCI interface supported by the FRDM-KW41Z module?

There is some documentation available in the SDK, but your problems seem to be related to the Linux interface as I was able to run the commands while using the TestTool. I believe this thread can help you:

FRDM-KW40Z Bluetooth LE Controller Usage with the Linux hcitool 

Could you please check it and let me know if that worked for you? 

Regards,
Estephania 

0 Kudos

ramyavlkr
Contributor I

Hello All,

I'm also facing same issue.  

Bluetooth NCP (network coprocessor) over HCI interface is done.

But when i'm trying to connect end device kw41z(i have flashed ble blood sensor example), its getting connected and immediately its disconnecting.

My requirement: From end device(kw41z has connected sensors) want to send sensor data to ble client connected to host. If u have any documents related to plz share me.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Ramya

0 Kudos