Creating a custom profile using NXP BLE stack server, how much characteristics can be added?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a custom profile using NXP BLE stack server, how much characteristics can be added?

lschoenfeld
Contributor III

Dear,

I'm using a Kinetis KW41Z with NXP BLE stack and rtos. I read several documents especially NXP DOC-332703 and DOC-328287. Did someone know how much characteristics can be added?

Regards

Lothar

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Not sure myself on this. Haven't test the max limit.

The added Characteristics, Values, CCCDs will eventually becomes part of GATT database. There are 2 ways to make a GATT database, static/dynamic. If you are not sure which to use, the static way is recommended.

So technically the GATT database will become a big data structure in RAM to hold all attributes, including characteristics. And the max number will be limited by the free RAM space your application would have. i.e. limited by memory size.

Refer to codes in gatt_database.h / .c

/*! Declare the Attribute database */
static gattDbAttribute_t static_gattDatabase[] = {
#include "gatt_decl_x.h"
};

There is also a theoretical limitation, that is the GATT handle which is defined as 2 bytes. So up to 65536.

Just in case, there is a doc in the SDK package. It provides info of how to use BLE stack.

SDK_2.2.3_FRDM-KW36.zip\docs\wireless\Bluetooth\Bluetooth Low Energy Application Developer Guide.pdf

0 Kudos