HSR in Vybrid's Ethernet switch - yes or no?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSR in Vybrid's Ethernet switch - yes or no?

eugeneryabtsev
Contributor III

Is it possible to implement high-availability seamless redundancy protocol in Vybrid's ethernet switch? How difficult it is going to be?

Vybrid reference mentions that "switch firmware source available to provide customer-specific software development capability", whatever that means, so if the answer is conditional on changing something in the switch firmware, please mention that too.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Euguene,

To my knowledge, we have not investigated implementing this in our Vybrid support. I suspect the mention of firmware source in the reference manual would require Freescale to provide that; we do not have any source on hand with regards to the switch firmware. karinavalencia could someone at Freescale comment on this please?

Thank you,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

jiri-b36968 can you  help to add your comments?

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Euguene,

Linux support for Vybrid is made by Timesys only. If Timesys does not support it, then Freescale does not support.

some information about statement are in 43.5.8 Layer 2 Lookup Tasks Overview; 43.5.8.3 Learning

Please discuss individual support with Timesys or with your Vybrid supplier.

/Jiri

0 Kudos

eugeneryabtsev
Contributor III

I did not mention Linux. Currently we are using MQX, but HSR implementation is bound to be rather close to bare-bone anyway. Both 43.5.8 and 43.5.8.3 describe the internal processes in the switch as they are, which is not necessarily conductive to an HSR implementation (HSR tag, while inserted in the same place as VLAN tag, is different, and has to be processed differently). As HSR essentially mandates cut-through and we cannot just store-and-forward for performance reasons, I have asked this question regarding the capabilities of the switch. This has nothing to do with operating system (we can pretty much code what is required on the system's part). Unfortunately, we have no "Vybrid supplier" that could know any more about Vybrid's switch than Freescale. From your answer I am concluding that you cannot guarantee either way, so if we are ever to do that, we'll either have to resort to external FPGA or try to obtain "available" switch firmware source, dig deeper in there and try find out. Thanks for the enswer.

Feel free to correct any mistakes in my understanding.

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eugene,

MQX implements just very basic support of L2 switch also. Understand your point. The switch implements forward features with some limitations. Not sure what are requirements of HSR. For example EtherCAT slave cannot be implemented. So far I have no more information than in RM. In the case of need send me which detail you need.

/Jiri

0 Kudos

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you  help  with this case?

0 Kudos

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Timesys Support do you have an update?

0 Kudos