Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2080 processor DDR3 initilalization

Jump to solution
vijaikumar
Contributor III

Hi All,

We have designed a custom T2080 board based on T2080RDB reference design. Our Board has a soldered down DDR instead of a DIMM based found in reference design. We donot have an eeprom with SPD details. I see that the u-boot uses SPD data from DIMM for initializing the DDR on T2080RDB. How can I initialize the DDR using u-boot in my custom board?

Regards

Vijai

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

u-boot provides an option for the non-SPD initialization:"#if !defined(CONFIG_DDR_SPD)"

Please refer to target board initialization file ( for example, u-boot\board\freescale\p2020ds\p020ds.c)

The values are defined in u-boot\include\configs\p020ds.h

Actual values depend on the design.

Freescale provides application note about DDR registers settings.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4039.pdf

Also, the DDR (Double Data Rate RAM Memory) Validation tool (DDRv) is a software application that helps you “tune” the DDR settings that can be the most difficult to get "centered."

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=PE_QORIQ_DDRV

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

u-boot provides an option for the non-SPD initialization:"#if !defined(CONFIG_DDR_SPD)"

Please refer to target board initialization file ( for example, u-boot\board\freescale\p2020ds\p020ds.c)

The values are defined in u-boot\include\configs\p020ds.h

Actual values depend on the design.

Freescale provides application note about DDR registers settings.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4039.pdf

Also, the DDR (Double Data Rate RAM Memory) Validation tool (DDRv) is a software application that helps you “tune” the DDR settings that can be the most difficult to get "centered."

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=PE_QORIQ_DDRV

Have a great day,
Pavel

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
flabyjacob
Contributor III

Hi Pavel

I would like to ask something on the DDR3 initialization for the custom t2080 board what Vijai had posted before.

I could not see "#if !defined(CONFIG_DDR_SPD)" in my UBoot source folder.

Can you please tell me where can I find it.

If it is not there how can I initialize DDR in UBoot since our custom board doen not have a DIMM module

Regards,

Flaby

0 Kudos
LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

DDR parameters are defined in board configuration file. You can find specific file at the path \git\include\configs

For example, T208xRDB.h file contains "#define CONFIG_DDR_SPD" since this board supports SODIM.

On the contrary, P1023RDS.h file provides the following comment with the following settings of DDR parameters:

"/* These are used when DDR doesn't use SPD.  */ "

#define CONFIG_SYS_SDRAM_SIZE        2048u    /* DDR is 2GB */

flabyjacob
Contributor III

Hi Pavel,

Thanks a lot for your response...

We are able to initialize DDR3 of the custom t2080 board from UBoot and its up...

Regards,

Flaby

vidyasagartata
Contributor II

Hi All,

Same issue facing in the 32 bit DDR3 discrete chip configuration in t2080 SDK2.0

Please suggest where modification is required.

Thanks,

Vidya

0 Kudos
vijaikumar
Contributor III

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for your reply. Currently we are loading the RCW file from NAND. From T2080 Reference Manual, I understand that once a RCW file is loaded the processor should release the HRESET line. In our case the HRESET line is not being released, and we are unable proceed further. Can you suggest a way to debug this issue. I am also wondering what is the minimum RCW fields need to be configured properly in order for the processor to release the reset line.

0 Kudos
sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Vijai

AFAIK, there are 3 potential main causes for HRESET not

being released related to your case :

- PORESET_B is not deasserted by your external reset logic

- IFC NAND Flash interface reports an ECC error (when it

is configured as the RCW source)

- PBL reports an error while loading the RCW data

So in your case you can perhaps verify if any of the above

happens.

Pavel can probably shed more light into this.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sinan Akman