Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification of MPXV differential pressure sensors

Jump to solution
VIP98
Contributor I

Hi,

I have some questions about differential pressure sensors:.

1. Which footprint configuration do the following sensors have? Style1 or Style2?
    • MPXV7025DP
    • MP3V5010DP
    • MPXV5010DP

2. Can single direction pressure sensors like MP3V5010DP, MPXV5010DP, MPXV5050DP, MPXV5100DP withstand negative pressures (P2 > P1) without permanent demage? If so how much?

3. In the datasheet of MPXV7025DP it states "The pressure sensor is designed to operate with positive differential pressure applied, P1 > P2". Is it a typo? It should be able to measure negative pressures down to -25kPa.

4. I found in forum answers and even in application note like AN4325 Rev. 1, 12/2012 that the 5V integrated type differential pressure sensors can work with lower supply voltages like 3-3.3V, the output voltage scale is radiometric. Can you give some more detail about supply voltages and measurement accuracy? Does it have limitations if only 3.3V supplied instead of 5V?
    Earlier forum source: https://community.nxp.com/t5/Sensors/Is-it-possible-to-use-MPXV7025DP-sensor-from-3-3V-power-supply/...

Thank You for clarifying these questions,

Pista

0 Kudos
1 Solution
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I hope all is great with you. Thank you for using the NXP communities.

1. The STYLE 1 is useful for these devices.

2. Such devices are not designed to operate with negative pressure. The negative pressure can cause permanent damage to devices that are not designed to handle negative pressure.

I know that some customer leave P1 open to the atmosphere and then apply “negative pressure” to P2 using the atmospheric pressure as a reference. Please note that P1 must be greater than P2 all the time.

3. You are correct, in this case the device features a pressure range from -25 to 25 kPa. It is designed to operate in negative and positive pressure.

4. Yes, they do. In this case the device is ratiometric, so the output voltage of the device will be lowered by the same amount as you lower the supply voltage. All the parameters will have a correlation to the supply voltage.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

1 Reply
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I hope all is great with you. Thank you for using the NXP communities.

1. The STYLE 1 is useful for these devices.

2. Such devices are not designed to operate with negative pressure. The negative pressure can cause permanent damage to devices that are not designed to handle negative pressure.

I know that some customer leave P1 open to the atmosphere and then apply “negative pressure” to P2 using the atmospheric pressure as a reference. Please note that P1 must be greater than P2 all the time.

3. You are correct, in this case the device features a pressure range from -25 to 25 kPa. It is designed to operate in negative and positive pressure.

4. Yes, they do. In this case the device is ratiometric, so the output voltage of the device will be lowered by the same amount as you lower the supply voltage. All the parameters will have a correlation to the supply voltage.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David