cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32k Debug Interface / Breakpoint

bjs
Contributor III

Hi,

I use s32k118evb board to develop a demo application running on FLASH memory. I noticed that I cannot set a break point with my PE Micro multilink universal FX debug interface. Is this the limitation of the debug interface? How can I debug the code step by step? Do I need a new debugger?

Thanks,

Bruce

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

bjs
Contributor III

I still have the issue with only one breakpoint. For some reason it is disabled.

2.png

breakpoint.png

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @bjs 

Does this behavior happen when you run an example code? 

Did you make any changes to the default settings of the project? 

0 Kudos

bjs
Contributor III

No it's not for example code but my application project. Sometime breakpoints work but sometimes don't and I have no idea when will it happen.

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @bjs 

I am sorry for not having made myself understood. Let me write my question in other words.

If you create a project from an example and add breakpoints, do you observe the same behavior as in your project? Also, I would like to know if you made any changes to the debug configurations of your project.

0 Kudos

bjs
Contributor III

This option was set correctly.

I got the information below but I don't understand what is it for.

====== From console output ======
done

Reset script (C:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2.2\eclipse\plugins\com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.pne_5.5.7.202304031909\win32\gdi\P&E\supportFiles_ARM\NXP\S32K1xx\S32K118F256M4.mac) completed.

Error Setting Hardware BP @4f12
Error Setting Hardware BP @4f22
Warning - Not all breakpoints could be written.
Error removing BP @4f12
Error removing BP @4f22
Error Setting Hardware BP @4f22
Error Setting Hardware BP @4eb2
Warning - Not all breakpoints could be written.
Error removing BP @4eb2
Error removing BP @4f22

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @bjs 

While debugging in Flash, you are limited by the number of hardware breakpoints. The advantage of debugging code in RAM is the availability of ‘unlimited’ software breakpoints.

Please refer to Software and Hardware Breakpoints for detailed information. 

0 Kudos

bjs
Contributor III
Does J-Link Unlimited Flash Breakpoints feature work with s32k MCUs?
0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @bjs 

When debugging code from flash memory, the debugger is limited on how many breakpoints it can set at any time by the number of hardware breakpoint units provided by the ARM CPU within the MCU.

Note: Code located in RAM can use a different mechanism offering the capability of essentially unlimited breakpoints.

Typically, the number of hardware breakpoints/watchpoints that can be set are as follows:

Cortex-M0/M0+: four breakpoints and two watchpoints

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @bjs 

You probably activate the option "Skip All Breakpoint" at the debug view of S32DS. Could you please validate if this is your case? 

VaneB_0-1692129071106.png

B.R.

VaneB

0 Kudos