S32K116 comparator tolerance

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K116 comparator tolerance

Jump to solution
892 Views
Sid_Zhou
Contributor II

I am trying to calculate the worst-case tolerance of S32K116 comparator (use 1V bandgap).

I found that the input offset is 25mV in full temperature. and it would be 2.5% tolerance (25mV/1V). Together with the 3% tolerance on bandgap. There will be 5.5% tolerance on the comparator. Since this tolerance looks a little too big for me, I am not sure if I got something wrong in this calculation.

Do I need to consider this input offset in a worst-case calculation?

How much of this tolerance can be reduced if I have a calibration in room temperature?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
827 Views
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Sid_Zhou,

You could use the ADC to monitor the voltage periodically.

 

Regards,

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
879 Views
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Sid_Zhou,

It is more complicated.

The Vbg, which has its own tolerance, can be used as the reference for the internal DAC.

 

danielmartynek_2-1686656884152.png

The DAC divides the Vin2 (Vreference voltage, Vbg).

1 LSB = Vin2 / 256

The DAC error is specified:

danielmartynek_1-1686656757272.png

VAIO is then the offset at the input of the CMP itself between INP and INN.

 

Regards,

Daniel

 

 

0 Kudos
851 Views
Sid_Zhou
Contributor II

Hi @danielmartynek

The DAC error is around 1LBS (1V/256=3.9 mV). it is small compare with the tolerances on Vbg(3%) and Vaio(25mV).

We have an application need to monitor a critical voltage Vtest not drop below 0.8V. Assume we have this voltage connect to INP.

1. With Vaio=-25mV Vaio, we need to set INN to be 0.825V.

2. With Vbg=0.97V, we need to set VOSEL=218. (218*0.97/256=0.826V)

So VOSEL=218 is what I can make sure the MCU (any Batch, any temperature) trigger when Vtest<0.8V.

But with this setting, when worst case goes to opposite direction. (Vbg=1.03, Vaio=+25mV), The trigger voltage is now 0.90V (218*1.03V/256+25mV). Thus, the worst case of Comparator is (0.8V,0.9V), which is a range around 12%. 

Back to our real application, we need to monitor +3.3V not drop below 3.0V, it is only 9% change. 

The CMP seems not able to reach 100%-trigger (Vtest<3.0V) and 0%-not-trigger (Vtest>3.3V).  

0 Kudos
828 Views
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Sid_Zhou,

You could use the ADC to monitor the voltage periodically.

 

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
782 Views
Sid_Zhou
Contributor II

Thanks @danielmartynek

0 Kudos