Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance comparison between S32K and 57xx

Jump to solution
ricardofranca
Contributor III

Hello,

I have had some experience with 55xx, 56xx and 57xx MCUs and I am now contemplating a future migration to S32. As performance is a potential issue, I would like to know how a S32K (e.g. S32K348) with a 240MHz Cortex-M7 would perform when compared to a 264MHz MPC5674F or a 300MHz MPC5777C.

Per the EEMBC website, the Coremark score of a MPC5674F (@264MHz) is 516 and the datasheet of the S32Kxx family provides a Coremark score of 1269 to the S32K348, which should mean a huge gain in performance (halving the execution time of an application?) in spite of a slighly lower core frequency... However, I once tried some Arm-based device that ran at 400MHz and, for my application (a dummy control system with no long loops, comprising mostly Boolean and floating-point logic) it barely outperformed the MPC5777C, which ran at 264MHz.

Do you have any performance comparison (other than Coremark scores) between 56xx/57xx and S32K3xx? Is a S32K348 expected to outperform a MPC5777C as suggested by their Coremark scores?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

FlexIO is universal timing module providing capabilities as UART, SPI, I2C, I2S, LIN, PWM, but there I don't think EBI could be emulated with this peripheral. At least I am not aware of any existing solution.

QuadSPI module is considered to be a replacement of external bus. It allows user to connect external memory device over QuadSPI, OctalSPI or Hyperbus communication protocol and have memory mapped access.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ricardofranca
Contributor III

Where can I find additional information regarding FlexIO? Even if it does not emulate the EBI, we might try to make use of it if its data path is wider than the 4 bits available in QSPI (which looks much slower than the EBI and might negate all gains obtained in the CPU).

Thanks,

Ricardo

0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

QuadSPI is only name of IP, but it allows also connection of Octal SPIs as I already answered. So data can go over over 8 lines.

FlexIO offerer 8 timers/shifters, so it will not be faster probably.

0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Performance of e200z759 will be around 2.27 DMips/MHz what gives 600 DMIPS per one core running at 264MHz. However MPC devices mostly haven't specified official numbers.

On the other hand S32K3 has it well defined in the datasheet as you can see below, separately for ASIL-B or D (i.e. whether these are variants with cores in lockstep or decoupled).

davidtosenovjan_0-1714993420191.png

davidtosenovjan_1-1714993559969.png

0 Kudos
ricardofranca
Contributor III

Hi David,

Thanks for your answer. In order to finish my performance comparison, I would like to know if, in newer devices, FlexIO can be considered as a replacement for the EBI module found in the 5xxx devices.

Regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

FlexIO is universal timing module providing capabilities as UART, SPI, I2C, I2S, LIN, PWM, but there I don't think EBI could be emulated with this peripheral. At least I am not aware of any existing solution.

QuadSPI module is considered to be a replacement of external bus. It allows user to connect external memory device over QuadSPI, OctalSPI or Hyperbus communication protocol and have memory mapped access.