Communication problem with S32K144 Development board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication problem with S32K144 Development board

ErikCarlsson
Contributor I

I have inherited a PS32K144UAVLL Evaluation board from another project but cannot get the serial communication with the card to work properly. This meaning that other programs than the original one, probably is loaded into the card.

I am looking for problems with the serial communication between computer and the development board.

• In the device manager, OpenSDA – CDC Serial Port appears as COM3 when the development board is connected. The device manager says that the unit is working correctly. Good.
  • I have installed Putty and, when the development board is connected to the computer, I can open the COM3-port. I do not manage to transfer any data and I do not know which data to test with. Once the development board is disconnected, Putty detects and says “Putty Fatal Error. Error reading from serial device”. A sign that serial communication is working in some way.
  • EVB-S32K144 turns up as drive (D:) when the board is connected. A sign that hardware and communication is working.
  • In FreeMASTER, Project->Options, the communication is set to RS232, port COM3, Speed 115200. When running Tools->Connection Wizard, I choose “Use direct connection on-board USB port”, I scan all baud-rates. When scanning, I get the result “No board detected on any of specified UART communication ports.” The communication fails.

Theories:

• I do not fully have the right firmware in the development board
    • The hardware is working as it turns up as a drive in explorer.
    • The blinking LED does not start to blink as expected eventhough I think I have loaded the "original" firmware.
    • No program communicates via COM3 successfully with the development board.
  • Something in the computer is blocking COM3 from being correctly used by the other programs.
    • I do not have any signs of this, but it is hard to prove the opposite.

Would really appreciate support!

0 Kudos
8 Replies

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ErikCarlsson,

The MCU would have to run an application that uses UART.

You can load, for example, this lpuart_echo_s32k144 example from S32 Design Studio

danielmartynek_0-1629894747635.png

Since you mentioned this part number PS32K144UAVLL, what version of S32K144 do you have?

The mask number is printed on the chip.

0N77P, 0N47T or 0N57U

Thank you,

BR, Daniel

0 Kudos

ErikCarlsson
Contributor I

I am trying to find lpuart_echo_s32k144 but cannot find it on my computer. Is that something that comes with the S32DS_ARM_Win32_v2.2 installation or will I need to find it on the internet?

BR

Erik Carlsson

0 Kudos

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Erik,

Yes, S32DS fro ARM v2.2 has SDK integrated.

danielmartynek_0-1629964749698.png

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/s32-design-studio-ide/s32-design-studio-for...

Create a new project from example:

File / New / S32DS Project from Example

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

ErikCarlsson
Contributor I

I have measured the reset pin: J104 pin 4, when no jumper was attached. It is at 30mV during 2ms and at 0V during 4 ms.

I am, without progress and just little knowledge trying to get Kinetis_Recovery_Utility.exe to fetch the MCU in the correct state.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

ErikCarlsson
Contributor I

Hello,

I have a 0N47T.

BR

Erik Carlsson

0 Kudos

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

This is not the production version of the MCU but a prototype.

The SDK v3.x.x in S32DS v2.2 does not support it anymore.

S32SDK_for_S32K1xx_RTM_3.0.0_ReleaseNotes.pdf

danielmartynek_0-1629965062363.png

I think the SDK may work, but it is not guaranteed.

I would recommend using the 0N57U version of the MCU.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

ErikCarlsson
Contributor I

Hello Daniel,

So what I have here is an outdated card, maybe locked with a false program.

What is the best way to get a fresh start with a development board from NXP. I need CAN, regular I/O, counters, and so on.

I can see that the S32K144 Development board is not available at Mouser, Farnell, or ELFA. I can see that they exist at DigiKey.

If I buy a S32K144 Development board again, how can I be sure not to get a 0N47T again?

Anything else I should watch out for?

BR

Erik Carlsson

0 Kudos

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Erik,

Have a look at the S32K1xx reference manual (2.5 Feature comparison) and choose an S32K1xx variant based on your requirement.

All our S32K1xx EVBs are listed at the address below and you can navigate to distributors from there.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/s32k-automotive-mc...

danielmartynek_0-1629968621839.png

Only the S32K144 had two prototype versions a few years ago.

And these prototypes are not available anymore, you will get the 0N57U one.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos