Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADC High Sampling Rate and Graph

Jump to solution
sadabmm
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm using S32K144 with S32DS. I want to use the ADC function with a very high sampling rate to capture a high frequency signal. What is the maximum sampling frequency I could achieve using this board?

I have already have coded ADC with SWTrigger mode (using the example code), and changed the PCC->PCCn[PCC_ADC0_INDEX] |= PCC_PCCn_PCS(6); to use the high frequency SPLL clock. Also, reduced the ADC0->CFG2 = 0x000000002; to reduce the sampling time.

Does this mean the ADC is sampling at 80MHz? Please check the attached code and let me know.

My next step is to get the ADC values and plot a graph using those values. It would be of great help if anyone could tell me a way to do that.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sadab,

The ADC conversion clock frequency ADCK is limited to 50MHz.
The peripheral clock selected in PCC_PCS is divided by ADC_CFG1[ADIV].
Please see below specifications.

If you want to sample one ADC input continuously, you can select continuous conversion ADC_SC3[ADCO] and use DMA to transfer the results to RAM.
Or you can use PDB to trigger a sequence of conversion in back-to-back mode and again use DMA.
You can plot a graph from the results in RAM.

You can refer to this example:
https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-333054 

Regards,

Daniel

S32K1xx Datasheet rev.9

pastedImage_1.png

S32K1xx Reference Manual rev.9

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sadab,

The ADC conversion clock frequency ADCK is limited to 50MHz.
The peripheral clock selected in PCC_PCS is divided by ADC_CFG1[ADIV].
Please see below specifications.

If you want to sample one ADC input continuously, you can select continuous conversion ADC_SC3[ADCO] and use DMA to transfer the results to RAM.
Or you can use PDB to trigger a sequence of conversion in back-to-back mode and again use DMA.
You can plot a graph from the results in RAM.

You can refer to this example:
https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-333054 

Regards,

Daniel

S32K1xx Datasheet rev.9

pastedImage_1.png

S32K1xx Reference Manual rev.9

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
sadabmm
Contributor II

Thank you Daniel.

I used the PDB triggering in back-to-back mode to get ADC inputs from 2 or more channels. Did not implement the DMA yet, but I'm working on it.

I set the sampling rate at 40MHz and set up LPUART to transfer the recorded data at 115200 baud rate via PuTTY then, used python to plot graphs.

I was pretty satisfied with the data that I collected, the graph looks pretty decent.

Here's a graph of a sine wave at 500Khz.

Figure_1.png

liuweiliang
Contributor II

hello,Are you in continuous mode? Whether continuous mode is suitable for back to back? 

my app needs to 24 channel adc.but i  can't improve Sampling Rate。

0 Kudos
sadabmm
Contributor II

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I didn't notice the notification.

I guess I am not using the continuous mode. For PDB back-to-back you need HW trigger.

For greater sampling rate you need to select the SPLL clock as source in PCC_PCCn_PCS, and then look into the CFG1 and CFG2 registers for sampling time calculation.

0 Kudos
Andre_b
Contributor II

I tried to understand which parameters of ADC_CFG1 and ADC_CFG2 but with no result. I need to improve my sample rate to achieve one sample per bit in 500 kbps CANH and CANL channels. Does anyone know how to do it?

Kindly guide me or small example code will be helpful. Many thanks

Andrea

0 Kudos
yrson7
Contributor I

Dear . Sadab Mahmud 
I also under studding ADC high sample Rate. 

I think convertAdcChan(12); was change like below.  

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos