Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32SDK without ProcessorExpert

Jump to solution
maksimsalau
Contributor II

Hello,

Is it possible to use the SDK without ProcessorExpert?

As far as I can see, portions of SDK defined in PE are copied into the project during generation. Can I bypass this somehow and use the SDK directly?

Ideally I want to make a project with a hand-crafted makefile that can be built unattended with a bare toolchain (without IDE or PE) on a Linux machine (e.g. a CI job).

The only option I can see for now is to copy the whole SDK into my project manually. Are there any limitation that can prevent me from doing this? Seems license comments don't put any restrictions about such usage scenarios. I do understand that there will be no automatic updates, but this is not an issue, since SDK updates should not happen implicitly to my mind.

Thanks.

Maksim.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Maksim, 

technically - yes. You can use S32sdk as standalone without processor expert. Anyway - in which MCU are you interested in? 

The SDK ( for example for S32K144) is just set of headers and source codes. You choose by Processor Expert which sources are used in you project and Processor expert also generates configuration structures for each particular driver. 

Without processor expert  you need to fill these structures (mostly passed into Init functions) by yourself and also you need to determine which driver-related source codes you need to add into your project. 

Other - may by more clean but more difficult solution - you can try build whole SDK as library archive and use only header files in your project and link the library. But there is no makefile present - you need to write your own one. 

Jiri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Maksim, 

technically - yes. You can use S32sdk as standalone without processor expert. Anyway - in which MCU are you interested in? 

The SDK ( for example for S32K144) is just set of headers and source codes. You choose by Processor Expert which sources are used in you project and Processor expert also generates configuration structures for each particular driver. 

Without processor expert  you need to fill these structures (mostly passed into Init functions) by yourself and also you need to determine which driver-related source codes you need to add into your project. 

Other - may by more clean but more difficult solution - you can try build whole SDK as library archive and use only header files in your project and link the library. But there is no makefile present - you need to write your own one. 

Jiri

0 Kudos
maksimsalau
Contributor II

Hi Jiri,

Thanks!

My MCUs of choice are S32K144 and S32K142.

Build system is not an issue for me. I can write a makefile to do what I need.

Regards,

Maksim

0 Kudos