Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate projects of S32DS between RTD-Driver Versions

Jump to solution
JoDo
Contributor III

Hello,

I have been working with the S32K344 controller and the RTD 1.0.0 CodeDrop version. Now I have updated the S32DS to the RTD 1.0.0 version.

When I try to work with the pin configurator etc. I get an error message that the controller is not available for this version and also compiling does not work.

If I remove the latest update and install the previous RTD 1.0.0 CD, then everything is fine again.

Is there any way to convert the older project to the new RTD version or at least work with both versions at the same time in S32DS? 

Regards,

JoDo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @JoDo,

Unfortunately, we currently do not have a migration tool in place which would help you with your current project. For GCC 10.2 migration support, we have a migration tool currently in development. At this time it is scheduled to be provided in an update release for S32 Design Studio v3.4 for end of December 2021. This schedule could change, so it is not guaranteed. For RTD/SDK migration, we currently have no plans for development of a migration tool, so you would need to perform such migration manually or with the assistance from the RTD/SDK support team.

I should also note at this time that the method you used to change the toolchain of your project from GCC 9.2 to GCC 10.2 is not working as you might expect. The Tool Chain Editor is a feature of Eclipse which does not support the needs of projects for S32 Design Studio. This is one of the primary reasons we have created our Migrate tool. When you used the Tool Chain Editor to change the toolchain to GCC 10.2, it was not completed properly, which is why you received the error in the SDK Manager and it blocked you from attaching the new RTD.

There is some good news. I have a solution that I think would work well for you. Try the following:

1) Using the New Application Project wizard, create a new project, selecting S32K3 device, GCC 10.2 toolchain, and on the second page, select the new SDK in the SDK selection menu.
2) Copy the application source files from your pre-existing project as well as any customizations you made to the project properties.
3) If you made use of any of the RTD, you may need to consult with the RTD support team by submitting a new support request and asking for the RTD support.
4) If you used the S32 Configuration Tools to setup pins, clocks, peripherals, etc. These settings could be exported from the existing project and then imported into the new one. 

Best regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

1 Reply
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @JoDo,

Unfortunately, we currently do not have a migration tool in place which would help you with your current project. For GCC 10.2 migration support, we have a migration tool currently in development. At this time it is scheduled to be provided in an update release for S32 Design Studio v3.4 for end of December 2021. This schedule could change, so it is not guaranteed. For RTD/SDK migration, we currently have no plans for development of a migration tool, so you would need to perform such migration manually or with the assistance from the RTD/SDK support team.

I should also note at this time that the method you used to change the toolchain of your project from GCC 9.2 to GCC 10.2 is not working as you might expect. The Tool Chain Editor is a feature of Eclipse which does not support the needs of projects for S32 Design Studio. This is one of the primary reasons we have created our Migrate tool. When you used the Tool Chain Editor to change the toolchain to GCC 10.2, it was not completed properly, which is why you received the error in the SDK Manager and it blocked you from attaching the new RTD.

There is some good news. I have a solution that I think would work well for you. Try the following:

1) Using the New Application Project wizard, create a new project, selecting S32K3 device, GCC 10.2 toolchain, and on the second page, select the new SDK in the SDK selection menu.
2) Copy the application source files from your pre-existing project as well as any customizations you made to the project properties.
3) If you made use of any of the RTD, you may need to consult with the RTD support team by submitting a new support request and asking for the RTD support.
4) If you used the S32 Configuration Tools to setup pins, clocks, peripherals, etc. These settings could be exported from the existing project and then imported into the new one. 

Best regards,

Mike