Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need name/confirmation on alternate microcontroller of MC9S12ZVM

Jump to solution
pratayay123
Contributor III

Dear sir/Mam,

Currently we are using MC9S12ZVM MCU for BLDC motor control. Now planning to change the MCU, could you please suggest any MCU /evolution board where we can use the same motor control code with minimum changes .

Thanks,

Pratyay

0 Kudos
1 Solution
StanoA
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Pratayay,

Sorry for inconvenience but I suppose you will need spend such code rework effort.

The S12ZVM has integrated 3-phase GDU, other similar variants have different GDU (2-phase full-bridge or relay drivers) so I think required small SW code rework is not possible. I suppose it is automotive application so I suggest you to select such 32-bit simple MCU from Kinetis family or more complicated / featured S32 family. You will always need the external 3-phase power MOSFET driver. Please select such MCU from sent link for automotive versions.

Best Regards,

Stano.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pratayay123
Contributor III

Thanks Stano .. we are planning due to availability issue. 

0 Kudos
StanoA
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Pratayay,

Sorry for inconvenience but I suppose you will need spend such code rework effort.

The S12ZVM has integrated 3-phase GDU, other similar variants have different GDU (2-phase full-bridge or relay drivers) so I think required small SW code rework is not possible. I suppose it is automotive application so I suggest you to select such 32-bit simple MCU from Kinetis family or more complicated / featured S32 family. You will always need the external 3-phase power MOSFET driver. Please select such MCU from sent link for automotive versions.

Best Regards,

Stano.

0 Kudos
pratayay123
Contributor III

Thanks, @StanoA .

Is there sample code available for Hall sensor-based sensored BLDC Motor control?

if available could you please share the sample code?

Thanks,

Pratyay

0 Kudos
StanoA
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Pratyay,

As first – what is the reason to MCU change? Is it availability or technical reason?

Your current MCU is based on S12Z core with integrated peripherals for motor control applications. Thus your code is build for defined core and integrated peripherals. If you don’t want to spent high effort for code modification you need to use the same MCU family – S12ZVM. The change to different MCU requires the code modification effort.

If you change MCU and use the same core S12Z you will need to use at least external MOSFET driver and modify your code to fit this new driver. You need pay attention to other peripherals used – as ADC, timers or other.

The evaluation boards are usually built for such MCU family e.g. S12ZVM or other. If you select different MCU family the other EVBs are available for help with final design.

You can select from various motor control kits and used MCUs on:

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/automotive-motor-control-solutions:AUTOMOTIVE-MOTOR-CO...

But each change requires code modification effort.

I hope it can help you select the right MCU for your application.

Best Regards,

Stano.

0 Kudos