cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe Enumeration Question

danklingman
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a question about enumeration and the distinction between the Host/PCI bridge and a P2P bridge in the Root Complex.  I'm currently using a P1022DS as a bare board, no OS system for development while waiting on our real hardware.  Since we have no OS I am working my way through the enumeration process.  I have a simple C program based on the "Hello World" project the wizard creates for a bare board system and am using the debugger to step through and see what is going on by monitoring the config_data register.  The .tcl script used by the debugger sets up the PCI1 controller at 0xE000A000.  I can actually see the vendor ID information from the root complex down to an ethernet card I installed for testing purposes.  Refer to the figure below.

I understand that in the enumeration process you poll Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0 and verify a valid Vendor ID and in my case that the device is a bridge. I'm presuming this is returning the device ID for the P2P bridge shown as device 0 in the figure.  You then update the Primary bus = 0, Secondary bus = 1, and the Subordinate bus = 1 in the configuration space for BDF 0,0,0. (I realize the subordinate bus can be updated at the end which is why the figure shows the subordinate bus as = 4.) In some explanations of the process that I've read, it says that you also need to update the subordinate bus number on the Host/PCI bridge (shown as = 10 in the figure). How does one do this? It seems to me that using the configuration address/data registers will just update the P2P bridge and not the Host/PCI bridge. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

bus.JPG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

danklingman
Contributor I

I believe I found the answer.  The P1022DS root complex contains the bridge to any downstream devices so there is no distinction.  Once the BAR0 and memory base/limit registers are defined, you're done.  Apparently this is one of the many things that is not defined in the PCIe specification and is system dependent.

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I moved this thread from "Other Freescale Solutions" to "QorIQ Processors"...

Lukas

0 Kudos