Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External RAM Flexbus using Processor Expert 10.4

Jump to solution
Schwac
Contributor II

Hello,

I installed Code warrior for MCU 10.4 (Eclipse IDE) and tried to compile some projects, but they are hanging up on the external memory definition section of the CPU bean. Specifically, where you specify a memory block, such as Memory block0. I use a start address of 0x20010000 and a size of 0xFF. Memory type RAM. In CW 10.2, when you defined a memory block, it would add a section to the "Memory Map", showing external RAM. This does not work even for blank, newly created projects. For example, start a bare-board project:

-MCF52259 Coldfire V2

-Full Board Support, No Optimizations

-Processor Expert

-Use Current Perspective

-configure the CPU component for external RAM, with the settings shown above.

Has anyone else got 10.4 to work? Should I revert to 10.2?

Thank You!

1 Solution
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

As far as I know that there is an issue with defining external areas for CFV2-V4 MCUs. Fix of this issue should be published in CW V10.5 (Q3-Q4). However, form your description I am not sure that your issue is the same as formerly reported. Could you please provide more details how to reproduce it (some step by step process would be the best).

In the mean time I think there are two workarounds:

- downgrade to the CodeWarrior Classic

- disable generation of linker file and modify it mauallly

best regards

Vojtech Filip

Processor Expert Support Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Schwac
Contributor II

I've tried pretty much everything at this point... It seems that the problem is that the memory areas you wuld typically assign to external ram (or any other memory) says "No Access". I've tried entering the Build Options section of the CPU Component inspector and adding a "MemoryArea3" however, this still does not allow access...

0 Kudos
Monica
Senior Contributor III

Hello Cory,

were these suggestions helpful?

Please keep us posted, we'd like to know about your breakthroughs! :smileywink:

Best regards,

Monica

0 Kudos
vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

As far as I know that there is an issue with defining external areas for CFV2-V4 MCUs. Fix of this issue should be published in CW V10.5 (Q3-Q4). However, form your description I am not sure that your issue is the same as formerly reported. Could you please provide more details how to reproduce it (some step by step process would be the best).

In the mean time I think there are two workarounds:

- downgrade to the CodeWarrior Classic

- disable generation of linker file and modify it mauallly

best regards

Vojtech Filip

Processor Expert Support Team

0 Kudos
Schwac
Contributor II

Thanks for the Feedback Vojtech.

As for reproducing the error, follow the very simple process stated in the original post by creating a bareboard PE project, and configure the external Flex Bus and memory block as shown in the post. Works in 10.2, does not work on 10.4. I would love to see an example of this working if you can create one?

My solution has been to keep working with CW MCU 10.2 for the time being, and this is working fine. Looking forward to the next revision though!

Thank You,

Cory