Where should you store your SaaS logs so that they can be queried quickly and cheaply for analytics?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where should you store your SaaS logs so that they can be queried quickly and cheaply for analytics?

Mishalk
Contributor I

Hello, everyone!

We want to make sure our technique of logging for tech support and business insights is good before we scale as a relatively new startup with only a few clients on our SaaS platform. Currently I am using this software to handle my subscription. We've set up some rudimentary logging for our application on AWS Cloud watch, but it's already tough to see how we'll run analytics on these logs as they grow to provide us with up-to-date, actionable data to identify common issues, trends, peak times, and so on.

We'd obviously prefer real-time data, but it appears to be prohibitively expensive, so perhaps executing them as cron processes is a better option? However, it still feels strange and unscalable.

We could store this data in a SQL database and query it, but is log data appropriate for a database and is it scalable?

We're now debating whether or not logging to cloud watch is the best course of action.

I'd want to hear how some of you deal with situations like this.

0 Kudos
0 Replies