PCF2129 RTC I2C communication stuck

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCF2129 RTC I2C communication stuck

Pares
Contributor I

Then INT is active its tied low. We know that we have used the alarm before, but we can’t read any register every response is 0xFF.

We use this chip as our RTC source, its critical that we can maintain time and very low power operation, the Device is battery powered and we have a a backup coin cell on the PCF2129.

I’ve tried some I2C recovery routines on the bus, I2C stop +start, manually generate scl clocks  until SDA doesn’t get stuck. Removing main battery. Resetting the mcu, trying these recovery routines doesn’t produce any results. The only options i can think of are:

-We can try the Poro and see if it revives but then we will lose the time and date. Also, any means to repeat this condition and see if we can work around this issue on runtime.

-we can remove the backup coin cell and see if it revives but then we will lose the time and date. Also, any means to repeat this condition and see if we can work around this issue on runtime.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Pares
Contributor I

read_error_rtc.png

I did some capture on the I2C on oen device thet is working fine and below on the device that is not responding

0 Kudos

Pares
Contributor I

The Backup battery is in place, also the VDD is present and stable. Yes I have read that if the communication was interrupted by a switch to the backup battery it won't communicate, actually this is the hypothesis that I am following. I tried this many times with no positive result. This happens rarely and we can’t reproduce the conditions to make it happen again. resetting the backup battery and then testing if the RTC works will discard a hardware problem but then I won't be able to solve the problem. I am debugging this pcb , so yes it has a stable VDD and I can change the code to test solutions in order to get the RTC working again.

Thanks for answering,

0 Kudos

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jordi,

Please check if the PCF2129 is not supplied from a backup coin cell because the I2C interface is disabled during the battery backup operation.

8.3.JPG

BR, Tomas

0 Kudos