cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot plug and current measurement for MC33771B

Jump to solution
LaLa
Contributor I

Hi, I am currently working on developing a BMS system based on MC33771B IC for my graduation project. I have some questions to finish my hardware design of the board:

1-Firstly, I cannot find some values for the zener diodes used in hotplug protection, so I was wondering if I could use two or more zener diodes and connect them in series to get 75 volts, such as 3 zener diodes, each with a value of 25 volts, or two zener diodes, each with a value of 36 volts, or something else. This is to replace the zener diode with a value of 75 volts between VPWR and GND.

2-And is it also possible to replace the diode between VPWR and CB_12 with a diode with a value of 22 volts instead of 20 volts?

3-Also, for ISENSE+/-, is it possible to use a diode in the range of 2.5 to 2.9 volts instead of 2 volts?

4-CGND, AGND, DGND, GNDREF and GNDFLAG are all these pins connected to the same GND which is the negative terminal of cell 1.

5-Is the TVS between the VPWR ant CT14 in case of VPWR exceeds 55V is optional or necessary?

6-Also, regarding measuring current, I plan to use a group of current measuring resistors and connect them in parallel, or use a PCB copper trace as current sense shunt resistor to measure the charging and discharging current of the cells; so I wanted to make sure whether the voltage difference between the ISENSE+/- terminals should not exceed +/-150mV in both charging and discharging states, so the maximum current that can be measured should not exceed 0.150 divided by the value of the shunt resistor (I_max = 0.150 / R_shunt).

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, I am currently working on developing a BMS system based on MC33771B IC for my graduation project. I have some questions to finish my hardware design of the board:

• Firstly, I cannot find some values for the zener diodes used in hotplug protection, so I was wondering if I could use two or more zener diodes and connect them in series to get 75 volts, such as 3 zener diodes, each with a value of 25 volts, or two zener diodes, each with a value of 36 volts, or something else. This is to replace the zener diode with a value of 75 volts between VPWR and GND.

[gw]In the reference design schematic we have the part number for hotplug,you can download the MC33771B EVB schematic:

FRDM33771BSPIEVB | MC33771 SPI EVB | NXP Semiconductors

guoweisun_0-1701066259967.png

• And is it also possible to replace the diode between VPWR and CB_12 with a diode with a value of 22 volts instead of 20 volts?

[gw]Yes.

• Also, for ISENSE+/-, is it possible to use a diode in the range of 2.5 to 2.9 volts instead of 2 volts?

[gw] Meanless for select 2.5V to 2.9V.

guoweisun_1-1701066259987.png

• CGND, AGND, DGND, GNDREF and GNDFLAG are all these pins connected to the same GND which is the negative terminal of cell 1.

[gw]Yes.

• Is the TVS between the VPWR and CT14 in case of VPWR exceeds 55V is optional or necessary?

[gw]No understanding this question

• Also, regarding measuring current, I plan to use a group of current measuring resistors and connect them in parallel, or use a PCB copper trace as current sense shunt resistor to measure the charging and discharging current of the cells; so I wanted to make sure whether the voltage difference between the ISENSE+/- terminals should not exceed +/-150mV in both charging and discharging states, so the maximum current that can be measured should not exceed 0.150 divided by the value of the shunt resistor (I_max = 0.150 / R_shunt).

[gw]Yes.

guoweisun_2-1701066307875.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

• Firstly, I cannot find some values for the zener diodes used in hotplug protection, so I was wondering if I could use two or more zener diodes and connect them in series to get 75 volts, such as 3 zener diodes, each with a value of 25 volts, or two zener diodes, each with a value of 36 volts, or something else. This is to replace the zener diode with a value of 75 volts between VPWR and GND.

[gw]In the reference design schematic we have the part number for hotplug,you can download the MC33771B EVB schematic:

FRDM33771BSPIEVB | MC33771 SPI EVB | NXP Semiconductors

guoweisun_0-1701066259967.png

• And is it also possible to replace the diode between VPWR and CB_12 with a diode with a value of 22 volts instead of 20 volts?

[gw]Yes.

• Also, for ISENSE+/-, is it possible to use a diode in the range of 2.5 to 2.9 volts instead of 2 volts?

[gw] Meanless for select 2.5V to 2.9V.

guoweisun_1-1701066259987.png

• CGND, AGND, DGND, GNDREF and GNDFLAG are all these pins connected to the same GND which is the negative terminal of cell 1.

[gw]Yes.

• Is the TVS between the VPWR and CT14 in case of VPWR exceeds 55V is optional or necessary?

[gw]No understanding this question

• Also, regarding measuring current, I plan to use a group of current measuring resistors and connect them in parallel, or use a PCB copper trace as current sense shunt resistor to measure the charging and discharging current of the cells; so I wanted to make sure whether the voltage difference between the ISENSE+/- terminals should not exceed +/-150mV in both charging and discharging states, so the maximum current that can be measured should not exceed 0.150 divided by the value of the shunt resistor (I_max = 0.150 / R_shunt).

[gw]Yes.

guoweisun_2-1701066307875.png

0 Kudos
LaLa
Contributor I
Thanks for your reply. You really helped me out with your answers.
0 Kudos