Hello_world with IMX8QXP Mek

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello_world with IMX8QXP Mek

teo1
Contributor I

I am very new with these kind of boards and I have an issue when I try to run the Hello.world program on my IMX8QXP Mek board.

I am following the guide : https://www.nxp.com/document/guide/get-started-with-the-mcimx8qxp-cpu:GS-MCIMX8QXP-CPU

I did everything until the point :  4.2.4 Run applications using U-Boot (in the MCUXpresso part).

However, I can't reach to run the Hello.world program. I think I miss something with the U-boot or the image on the SD card. I created the hello_world.bin bootable image and I pasted the uuu.exe, uuu.auto and imx-boot-imx8qxpmek-sd.bin-flash under the "release" file (with the hello_world.bin document), and when I try to run the following line : uuu.exe uuu.auto

I get the following answer:

uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- libuuu_1.4.72-0-g8e9e189

Success 0 Failure 1

1:5 1/ 1 [HID(W):LIBUSB_ERROR_IO ] SDPS: boot -f imx-boot-imx8qxpmek-sd.bin-flash

If you don't get what I did, could you just explain me the steps to run the Hello-world program on the board please?

Thanks for your help,

Best regards, 

Teo

0 Kudos
12 Replies

teo1
Contributor I

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

How do I know which are my files which correspond to imx-boot.bin and rootfs.wic? I guess they are in the zip file L4.14.98_2.0.0_ga_images_MX8QXPMEK.zip I already downloaded.

Furthermore, I would like to know if it is necessary for me to download a VM as I am on a Windows 10 OS.

Thank you,
BR,
Teo

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, you may find it inside the package you have downloaded, the command should look as follow:
> ./uuu.exe -b sd_all imx-boot-imx8qxpmek-sd.bin-flash fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8qxpmek.sdcard

Finally, there is no need to use a VM you may run the tool using windows without a problem.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos

teo1
Contributor I

Hello,

Thanks again for your answer, I understand some things I could not understand before.
Using the command you suggested me I get the following error : 

Success 0 Failure 1

1:5 1/ 1 [HID(W):LIBUSB_ERROR_IO ] SDPS: boot -f imx-boot-imx8qxpmek-sd.bin-flash

I can't find what it means.

finally, I guess that using the gcc command prompt is enough?

BR,

Teo

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I use it with the power shell, but using the command prompt should be ok as well.

Could you check the chip revision you're using?
Also, please make sure that the board is in serial download mode.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos

teo1
Contributor I

Hello,

I thought that to flash on SD card I had to use the SD1 mode. Anyway I tried also with the serial Download mode and I have exactly the same message.

I can't find what is the chip revision I'm using, where can I find it?

Best regards,
Teo

0 Kudos

teo1
Contributor I

Hello, 

using the folowing command : uuu -lsusb 
I get :

Chip: MX8QXP
Pro: SDPS
Vid: 0x1FC9
Pid: 0x012F
BcdVersion: 0x0004

Is it what you mean by chip revision? Hope it can help us,

BR,

Teo

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Unless the SD card being used is not flashed, you'll need to set the board to serial downloader to be able to download and flash.

Regarding how to identify your chip revision, to distinguish between i.MX 8X B0 and i.MX8X C0 parts, you'll need to check the last letter of the part number, which indicates the silicon reversion. For example, MiMX8QX6AVLFZAB indicates that it is i.MX 8X B0 part, while MiMX8QX6AVLFZAC indicating that it is i.MX 8X C0 part.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos

teo1
Contributor I

Hello,

my chip revision is a C0 one.

I think I am doing wrong when I try to connect the board to download and then flash on SD card.
First, should I use an empty SD card or the SD card which was on the kit?
Which are the several step? Maybe I am missing one.

Best regards,
Teo

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Actually you're not doing all that wrong, the only thing that you're missing is that you're using an incompatible BSP version for the Chip revision that you have.

Please try with one of the following demo images:

L4.14.98_2.3.0

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.14.98_2.3.0_MX8QXP&appType=license

uuu command

> ./uuu.exe -b sd_all imx-boot-imx8qxpc0mek-sd.bin-flash fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8qxpc0mek.sdcard

L5.4.24_2.1.0

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L5.4.24_2.1.0_MX8QXPC0&appType=license

uuu command

> ./uuu.exe -b sd_all imx-boot-imx8qxpc0mek-sd.bin-flash imx-image-multimedia-imx8qxpc0mek.wic

Please try it and let me know.
Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos

teo1
Contributor I

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.
Thanks a lot for your advice, I don't get the error message anymore. I get the following message : 

1:22 6/ 6 [Done ] FB: done
1:6   1/ 1 [=================100%=================] SDPS: boot -f imx-boot-imx8qxpc0mek-sd.bin-flash

I wanted to run the hello world program to understand how this card works.

My goal is now to make some measures of consumption of several modes. How can I choose the modes?

Best regards,

Teo

0 Kudos

teo1
Contributor I

Hello,

I will be more precise with my new question.
I would liek to take some measures of consumption of the card.

I see 2 possibilities:
- The first one is by using the power switch mode demo. The issue is that when I change the mode, it seems like nothing changes.
- The second one is by using the "i.MX 8QuadXPlus Power and Performance" PDF.
  I see that there are some Key states (KS0, KS1, ...), but I don't know how to get these states. Is there a program to download?

Maybe there are other possibilities that I don't know.
I hope my question is clear.

Best regards,
Teo

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

If you're using the uuu.auto script this will write uboot and rootfs into eMMC in the baord, if you wish to flash an SD card you'll need to use the following command:
./uuu.exe -b sd_all imx-boot.bin rootfs.wic

You may replace the imx-boot.bin and rootfs.wic with the actual file you already have. If this does fail as well, please share the debug UART log and the BSP version you're using.

BR,
Aldo.

0 Kudos