USBDM - Version 4.10.6 (RS08/HCS08/HCS12/CFV1/Kinetis BDM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 4.10.6 (RS08/HCS08/HCS12/CFV1/Kinetis BDM)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

USBDM has been updated to V4.10.6

Please post any queries on this version in a separate thread - I really can't cope with this newfangled setup!

Documentation available at: SourceForge

Applications available at: SourceForge

Source code is available at: GitHub eventually.

bye

Note

• Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above design.

V4.10.6 (August 2013) - This mainly concentrates on Eclipse support

• Eclipse Juno & Keplar:
    • Installation no longer adds files to Codesourcery directories
    • Support for other ARM GCC toolchains with Kinetis
    • GDB server (sprite) bug fixes (GDB no longer dies if R0/D0 contains Exxxxxxx!).
    • GDB socket based server introduced (ARM+Coldfire).
    • GDB servers support float registers on ARM
    • Additional example projects for ARM targets.
    • Support for Floating point options with ARM Ltd toolchain
    • Newlib support (stdio using serial port)
    • Added USBDM menu items (Examples, Configuration)
    • USBDM now includes make tools from GNU to conveniently support Builds on windows
    • Added a range of programming options to GDB server e.g. trimming of target clock.
  • Programmer dialogues slightly smaller
  • Linux CDC devices (serial ports) appear as ttyUsbdm devices so they are easier to locate
  • Multiple Linux install scripts (Base, Codewarrior and Eclipse Juno installation)
  • Added devices
    • Added MC9S08PA4
    • Added additional Kinetis devices (KE02 family)
19 Replies

shayanalibhatti
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

I need some urgent help. Please tell USBDM is referred as stand-alone programmer. Can it be configured to program stand-alone in such a way that we press a push-button from outside and the programmer saves the target hex file and it keep programming the target controller on press of push button ? Is USBDM built to do this ? I have a USBDM JS16 based programmer. My supervisor wants update on this task, he believes USBDM can be used to program micro controllers in batch without needing a PC just like Cyclone programmer. I am stuck as i never used freescale ever. I am editting the USBDM Kinetis firmware code but it keeps giving errors.

Please respond soon with details so I can show them to my supervisor.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Shayan,

Sorry USBDM does not operate in that fashion. It requires a PC to do the programming.

The stand-alone programmers refers to the software programmers that do not need a IDE such as Codewarrior to do programming.

I'm sorry if this was misleading.

bye

0 Kudos

PadelisGR
Contributor III

Dear pgo,

do you know where i can get the latest board of this design?

USBDM: USBDM/CF (combined RS08/HCS08/HCS12/Coldfire V1,2,3,4/DSC/Kinetis code) for JM32/60

I am sorry if i am posting in the wrong thread but i am looking to buy this debugger but i cant find it anywhere. I dont want to buy a chinese clone.

You can send me a pm if you want.

Thank you for your time.

Padelis

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Padelis,

There are a couple of suppliers on ebay doing the previous version.

I believe this link has a re-build of the current version but I'm not completely sure:

http://www.flashgenie.net/USBDM-Kinetis.html

bye

0 Kudos

zipper
Contributor I

Hi PGO,

Does it support MC56F8322? I encountered an error :“GDI protocol can't connect!”

Best wishes to you.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi zhu,

The support for MC56F devices is very limited in the programmer and the not supported in Codewarriorm10 at all.

I believe it should work with the MC56F8322.  Does the stand-alone programmer work correctly?

bye

0 Kudos

召强陈
Contributor I

Hi PGO,

I have already made a OSBDM ,the hardware version is "USBDM_SWD_SER_JS16CWJ" and the software version is "USBDM 4.10.5",

It works very stable thanks a lot.

I have downloaded the sources version is "USBDM_JMxx_4_10_5" but is default debug configuration is"USBDM_JMxxCLD",

I change it to "USBDM_SWD_SER_JS16CWJ" but it does not work correctly.

can you give me a sources project configuration is "USBDM_SWD_SER_JS16CWJ" and can work. My mailbox is "artczq@163.com"(if

useful).

Best wishes to you.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi 召强 陈,

There is no separate configuration for each target.  The files on GitHUB are a codewarrior project.  If imported in Codewarrior then there should be multiple targets available - one for each variant.

The only configuration is done in Configure.h. This is controlled by a project level definition of the TARGET_HARDWARE.  You can try manually defining such a definition:

TARGET_HARDWARE==H_USBDM_SWD_SER_JS16CWJ

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Thank you very much for the recent CW v10.5 support! Now the crusty Multilink goes back to the drawer!

0 Kudos

TOMXUE
Contributor II

Dear Pgo:

Thanks for the work on 4.10.6!

I have tried the version of 4.10.6, there is something not as good as 4.10.5.

When I try to program the K20DN512 with 4.10.5 and USBDM/SWD, everything work very well,

but when I change to 4.10.6, sometimes the program flash work, sometime it not.

The following is the error figure:

2013-9-26 2-31-19.jpg

It seems that one time is work and the next time is not, but the third time is work again.

Many thanks

Tao Xue

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Tao,

Can you provide the following information and I will see if I can find a reason:

• Operating System
  • What BDM you are using
  • What interface (SWD or JTAG)

Thanks

0 Kudos

TOMXUE
Contributor II

Hi, Pgo:

I am using codewarrior 10.4 in windows XP with USBDM SWD for Kinetis K20 MCU.

Thanks,

Tao

0 Kudos

raoulsnyman
Contributor I

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for the 64-bit DEB package! It's AWESOME. The number of Linux computers running 32-bit is in the minority these days, so trying to recompile the project myself (because I run 64-bit) when I didn't know what I was doing was less than successful. The package just worked, good job!

0 Kudos

brauliochisalav
Contributor I

Hi pgo, is there any chance to see how can connect the usbdm to android tablet? to program the microcontroller with the tablet, and dont need to have a PC?

0 Kudos

lucianon
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

I´d like to warn you that the 4.10.6 do not work on winXP I tried more than 3 PCs and it really don´t work. I have problems to install the driver on win 7 similar as: https://community.freescale.com/message/348546#348546

I have one PC that the 4.10.6a are working but the command line (prompt command) are not working. The command line behavior are the same as 4.10.5 but the target are not programmed.

then

I recommend use only 4.10.5b that works perfectly.

Regards.

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Hi pgo. I've been having a little problem, but I didn't cared as it wasn't that bad. Now it was very important to get it fixed and I found the source of the problem.

I'm working with QG8 and I've built a very small cooperative RTOS focused on power consumption optimization, because it's going to be used on a battery powered device, so it saves a few miliamps by going into WAIT mode when it detects all tasks are idle. In the actual development stage it spends about 80% of the time in WAIT mode and uses about 30% less power.

The problem is that when accessing the variables when the processor is in WAIT, they all read zero most of the time and occasionally the right value. Tested in Variables View and also Freemaster, so it's not from CW.  The workaround was just to never go to WAIT mode and everything works perfect.

As far as I remember this bug wasn't present somer versions ago, but I could be wrong.

Hope you could tell me if this is in fact a bug or it's not possible to retrieve variables in WAIT mode.

Regards.

0 Kudos

raining
Contributor I

hi pgo

we downloaded code into PA4 device always fail, any suggestions?

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Zhilun,

I have finally got a PA4 chip to try.  Unfortunately the problem is that the flash algorithm which is written in C is too large for that chip i.e. there isn't enough RAM (only 512 bytes).  It will have to wait until I re-write the code in assembly for it to be practical. I'm unsure when I will have the time to look at this .

bye

0 Kudos

lucianon
Contributor I

Hi Zhilum,

I suggest you uninstall 4.10.6a and install 4.10.5b (USBDM_4_10_5b_Win.msi and  USBDM_Drivers_1_1_0_WinXP_x32.msi)

and insert this:

You can try adding PA4 to the hcs08_devices.xml file

<device family="HCS08Plus" name="MC9S08PA4">
         <clock registerAddress="0x3038" type="S08ICSV4" />
         <memory type="ram">
            <memoryRange start="0x0040" end="0x023F" />
         </memory>
         <memory registerAddress="0x3020" type="eeprom" sectorSize="2" alignment="1">
            <memoryRange start="0x003100" end="0x00317F" />
         </memory>
         <memory registerAddress="0x3020" type="flash" securityAddress="0xFF70" sectorSize="512" alignment="4">
            <securityEntryRef ref="HCS08-default-security" />
            <memoryRange start="0x00F000" end="0x00FFFF" />
         </memory>
         <soptAddress value="0x3030" />
         <sdidAddress value="0x3002" />
         <sdidMask value="0x00FFFF" />
         <sdid value="0x0043" />
         <flashScripts>
            <tclScriptRef ref="HCS08-PTxx-flash-scripts" />
         </flashScripts>
         <flashProgramRef ref="HCS08-PTxx-flash-program" />
      </device>