USBDM - Version 4.10.0 (RS08/HCS08/HCS12/CFV1/Kinetis BDM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 4.10.0 (RS08/HCS08/HCS12/CFV1/Kinetis BDM)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

USBDM has been updated to V4.10.0

Please post any queries on this version in this thread (maybe!),

Documentation available at: SourceForge

Applications available at: SourceForge

Source code is available at: GitHub

bye

Note

• Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above designs.

History

V4.10.0 (September 2012) -

• Improved Kinetis ARM-JTAG interface speed.
  • Added support for Kinetis ARM-SWD interfaces (requires different hardware). ARM-SWD is much faster than ARM-JTAG. For reference, programming a file to Kinetis flash using Codewarrior 10.2:
FirmwareHardwareWith readback verifyWithout readback verify
OSJTAG (build30_rev21)Tower K-401m 20s53s   
USBDM-JTAG (4.10.0)Tower K-4047s23s
USBDM-SWD (4.10.0)USBDM-SWD21s 17s

• ARM interfaces (JTAG & SWD) are now provided by USBDM interface DLL. This means that the ARM API is now uniform with the RS08, HCS08, HCS12 and CFV1 interfaces. A compatibility DLL is provided for legacy use.
  • Simple ARM-SWD interface hardware designs are provided.
  • Bug fixes
    • Alignment error in programming code for some S12 targets
    • Corrected load addresses for ELF files for HCS08/HCS12

30 Replies

ficho
Contributor I

HI,

I have tried to program MC56F8322 with MC56F80XX programmer and it works well, but after that I tried to debug a simple program and I get always this error (below on picture), after that I tried with MC56F8037 and again same error..., then I selected USB TAP and it runs OK. Any Idea whats wrong?

I would like to say that I did test's on windows XP, Win7 64bit with codewarrior 10.4,10.2 and v8.3 always same error.

I tried also with external power and power provided by USBDM etc.

error_dsc.png

0 Kudos

andreitatar
Contributor II

I managed to install this and use it with my FRDM-KL05Z the problem is that I can't debug from Code Warrior 10.3.

On the first run (from ARM programmer) it said that the chip id is not known (MKL05Z32 in QFN32 package). I updated the XML with the ID it gave back and everything worked ok. I could upload elf files from the "arm programmer" program. The problem is that if I start loading/debugging from Code Warrior, it says that the connection is lost. Is there any workaround?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Andrei,

This is an old thread (V 10.0).  Can I check which version of USBDM you have installed.  You should have the latest.

I have used the OpenSDA version of USBDM without any problem but I certainly haven't used it extensively.

bye

0 Kudos

TOMXUE
Contributor II

Dear Pgo:

Is there a new update for USBDM using in CW 10.3Beta?

I have try to use the 4.9.4b version patch to CW 10.3Beta,

all of the USBDM debug is working, but a new project wizard is not working,

I have to new a project with CW 10.2 and then switch to CW 10.3Beta for debugging.

I have build a new USBDM harware with SWD and a new KL25 board with the sample chip from

Freescale, wish to debug it with the CW 10.3Beta and USBDM 10.0.

so exciting and waiting for USBDM for CW 10.3Beta.

Thanks for your excellent work.

Best regards,

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Tao,

I have just uploaded an updated version to sourecforge.

bye

0 Kudos

ggorlik
Contributor I

Dear pgo,

thanks for the great software.

I just upgraded my wytec JS16 USBDM from 4.6 to 4.9.4 (this is the latest I could find for linux). Now my setup does not work any more.

When I try to run or debug in codewarrior (10.2) I get "Failed to load device database" then "Failed to resume target process., HC/RS/S12Z GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect. Device database error (not found/incorrect)"

The standalone programmer seem to work just fine. (I am on a 64-bit linux system, but i have all the required 32-bit libraries installed)

0 Kudos

ggorlik
Contributor I

I figured out what was wrong. I installed as a different user and the home directory was missing the .usbdm directory.

Copying it to the new user fixed the issue.

thanks!

0 Kudos

juanm
Contributor III

Hi! I have an old board with a 9S08QE8 that comes with an integrated OSBDM with a JB16. I'm wondering if it's possible to install the USBDM firmware in this JB16 so I can use this board in Windows 7 and with Codewarrior 10.2.

This is muy board.

S08QE8 Badge Board Demonstration by Future - YouTube

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Juan,

In theory yes but you would need to provide a detailed circuit to check if it corresponds to any of the supported JB16 variants.  I was unable to locate a circuit online.  Do you have one?

The other problem is that you need to be able to get the JB16 into ICP mode and have a computer old enough to actually work with the JB16 ICP software which has some issues I believe.

bye

0 Kudos

juanm
Contributor III

Yes, I have a schematic:

http://www.noodlehed.com/ebay/datasheets/MC9S08QE8/Schematics/9S08QE8BADGE_Schematics.pdf

Also I have access to an old computer.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

HI Juan,

Well you have some encouragement from Gabriele.  The circuit's a bit different but appear functionally the same as the OSBDM one.

There's a header to get it into Boot mode for use with the Freescale ICP program.

Good luck.

bye

0 Kudos

ggorlik
Contributor I

Juan,

I have the same board and several months ago I have flashed successfully an older version of USBDM (4.5) on it using the witztronics image.

0 Kudos

TOMXUE
Contributor II

Dear pgo:

Thanks for your great work in USBDM.

Now I have download the 4.10.0 version and uninstall the previous 4.9.4 version,

and then I start Codewarrior 10.2, when I open the Debug Configurations and want to check

if the codewarrior can find USBDM device, I got an error

" Loading of USBDM native library failed "

When I uninstall the new 4.10.0 and re install 4.9.4, I got everything ok.

If there is something wrong for me ?

many thanks

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Tao,

Yes I appear to have generally broken this but in any case I could never actually get this to work properly in Windows 7 and I haven't had time to find the reason.

It does stop you selecting a 'preferred' BDM but this is only of concern if there are multiple attached so I've not considered it a high priority.  Do you actually need this function?

The programming connection does not use the Native interface library so it unaffected.

It's actually a problem with the Eclipse plugin but I'm no expert on using a native library from a Java module loaded as a Eclipse plugin so it's a bit trial and error!

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Hello PGO i was wondering if it's possible to leave BKGD pin low when finishing programming so I can connect another board with a blank chip, power it up and enter BDM mode to write flash, instead of trying to program, fail and then re-energize target to get it into BDM mode. Thanks !

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Carlos,

It's a bit funny - I actually had a request not to do this as it interferes with doing a connection to a running system.

After a bit of thinking I came to the conclusion that it was safer not to hold BKGD low by default as the BDM connection is not really intended for live connection - You have no control over which pins connect first so it's best to leave as many undriven as possible.

The "proper" solution is to use a powered BDM which will cycle the power on connect.  I'm reluctant to change the default BKGD level but I will consider adding a programmer option when I have time.

As an interim measure I would suggest a jig to allow a more convenient method for cycling the power.  You could then add a Power-on circuit to hold BKGD low.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Thank you very much! Will greatly appreciate if an option could be added. Also I have found that since the firmware has 3 version ids (for 4.10.2 for example) now the Freemaster plugin fails :smileysad:

0 Kudos

thm59
Contributor II

Dear PGO

I designed another version of the hardware for your USBDM, in his basic version S16CWJ: http://www.68hc08.net/articles.item.156/BDM-gratuit-S08-S12-ColdfireV1.html

The main advantage is that this is a single sided PCB (so I can make it in my kitchen:smileycool:) and it can accommodate for 1206 or 805 SMDs, but with a little larger size than your hardware.  Unfortunately, as you can see on the picture, I was obliged to have a strap between the pin 20 (PTA7 – BKGD_O) and the 74LV125. This strap could be avoided if the BKGD_O could be redirected to the pin 10 (PTA2) of the MC9S08JS16, which is unused in this configuration.

I downloaded the source code of your firmware and could build it without problem with CW 10.2.

My question is the following: is it possible to simply redirect the BKGD_O signal to the PTA2 pin? If yes, which file should I modify (I couldn’t find it) ?

Best regards

Thierry

(I am preparing a new version of this PCB, with reduced size)

0 Kudos

Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Hello pgo,

Can you update USBM tools for CW10.3beta?

Or is there any tricks to install USBDM in CW10.3?

Emmanuel

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Emmanuel,

It is not possible to install the current version of USBDM with CW 10.3Beta as the Wizard update is not correct i.e. you can't easily create new projects with an USBDM interface.

I have an updated version that does install but it needs to be tested.

I will update this over the weekend if I don't discover any problems.

bye.

0 Kudos