Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSBDM can not write to memory but can read

Jump to solution
yibbidy
Contributor V

Hi All,

I have been using the OSBDM build into the M52259DEMO board with CW7.1.2 for a couple of days to test out a couple of RTOS's.  After erasing the flash memory one time I now get the error:

GDI Protocol PlugIn: The Debugger can not write memory.

It appears that it can read memory okay because checking the protocol log shows that the chip ID is successfully returned.  Also, I went into the hardware diagnostics tool and found that I could read IPSBAR and RAMBAR and I could write to RAMBAR also.

The firmware in the OSBDM was v26, I found that it was a bit old so I've updated it to the latest with the new P&E tool but I still get the same error.

Strange as it was working fine earlier, is there some kind of lock to prevent a BDM writing to memory?

Here is the protocol log of a "blank check":

GDI:   DiGdiOpen()
==> DI_OK
GDI:   DiGdiVersion()
==> DI_ERR_NOTSUPPORTED
GDI:   DiGdiAddCallBack(8192)
==> DI_OK
GDI:   DiGdiAddCallBack(16384)
==> DI_OK
GDI:   DiGdiInitIO()
GDI:      Callback(DI_CB_MTWKS_EXTENSION) kind=MTWKS_CB_REPORTONLYFATALERROR, Result=DI_OK
GDI:      Callback(DI_CB_MTWKS_EXTENSION) kind=MTWKS_CB_GETSTATUSWHENSTOPPED, Result=DI_ERR_NOTSUPPORTED
GDI:      Callback(DI_CB_MTWKS_EXTENSION) kind=MTWKS_CB_COLDFIREAUTOCONFIG, Result=DI_OK
==> DI_OK
GDI:   Reading From Memory Address: 0x04011000A, count: 2, memSpace: 2
GDI:   DiMemoryRead()
==> DI_OK
GDI:   24 81
GDI:   Writing To Memory Address: 0x020000000, count: 40, memSpace: 1
GDI:   BC C5 BC C5 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
GDI:   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
GDI:   DiMemoryWrite()
==> DI_ERR_FATAL
GDI:   DiErrorGetMessage()
==> 1
GDI:   Error Message ==> The Debugger can not write memory.
GDI:   DiGdiClose(TRUE)

EDIT:  I used the hardware diagnostic tool to read from 0x0401D0008 which is the SCFMSEC — CFM Security Register and it reads 80 00 FF FF which suggests that there is no flash security.

Any ideas??

Shaun

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
yibbidy
Contributor V

Fixed now.

I had also tried using CW 7.2 with no success.

I ended up installing CW10.2 on an Ubuntu Linux machine.  I made a new project just to flash a led and loaded that to the M52259DEMO board.  It worked.  CW10.2 did do a firmware update to the OSBDM with more modern firmware than the latest P&E firmware updater.

I went back to CW 7.2, now it all works.  Went back to CW 7.1.2, still doesn't work.  Very odd as CW 7.1.2 used to work, perhaps the OSBDM firmware update.

I must say I am extremely impressed with CW 10.2, works out of the box on Linux, a huge improvement over the previous CW10's.  I think I'll be using CW10.2 on Linux for all new projects.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yibbidy
Contributor V

Fixed now.

I had also tried using CW 7.2 with no success.

I ended up installing CW10.2 on an Ubuntu Linux machine.  I made a new project just to flash a led and loaded that to the M52259DEMO board.  It worked.  CW10.2 did do a firmware update to the OSBDM with more modern firmware than the latest P&E firmware updater.

I went back to CW 7.2, now it all works.  Went back to CW 7.1.2, still doesn't work.  Very odd as CW 7.1.2 used to work, perhaps the OSBDM firmware update.

I must say I am extremely impressed with CW 10.2, works out of the box on Linux, a huge improvement over the previous CW10's.  I think I'll be using CW10.2 on Linux for all new projects.

0 Kudos