Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN7462 HSU as a Conventional UART

Jump to solution
s_ali
Contributor III

Hi

We are evaluating PN7462 (actually prototyping) for a battery powered reader application. We need PN7462 to do the all NFC related work and then pass on some application level data to another host processor over a Serial UART interface. I am a bit confused if the HSU on PN7462 is meant for some proprietary protocol and/or data only? Could it be used as any generic UART interface - we need to be able to send custom data using custom protocol.

The same goes for the I2C. There maybe a requirement later on to use PN7462 I2C as slave for custom data communication with an external MCU. I understand that only one of the I2C, SPI, UART can be used at a time.

Thanks

Labels (2)
1 Solution
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hi Shaoib,

Yes, you are right. Please also note SPI/I2C master interface doesn't share the same pins for slave interface. 

pastedImage_1.png

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Shoaib,

The HSU port is a slave only port, so it can not be used as a generic UART, so for your case, I would recommend using Host interface as I2C slave and the I2C master connected with a bridge device like Bridges | Protocol Bridge | Bridge IC Solutions | NXP .

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
s_ali
Contributor III

Hi Kan,

Thanks for your reponse. I am little confused - when I look into section 9 of the document UM11083.pdf (OM27462NBR Smart Lock KITUser manual ), it seems to indicate implementation of a custom protocol over PN7462 UART. Please see snippet below:

pastedImage_1.png

and then subsequently in section 10 of the same document:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

Does it not seem to indicate custom protocol over UART?

Regards

Shoaib

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Shoaib,

I am sorry, I misunderstood you wanted to use HSU as master, and if that is the use case you want to implement, you can use HSU like that, but the I2C slave port and HSU port share the same interface, so you can not use them in the same time.

pastedImage_1.png

This custom protocol is from the application code, not embedded in the UART module.

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:

0 Kudos
s_ali
Contributor III

Hi Kan,

No problem and thanks for prompt response.

Just for clarification please - Is it correct that either of SPI/I2C/UART can be used as generic respective interface? Likewise, SPI/I2C can be used as Master or Slave generic interface?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hi Shaoib,

Yes, you are right. Please also note SPI/I2C master interface doesn't share the same pins for slave interface. 

pastedImage_1.png

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:

amarsoma05
Contributor II

if possible please provide the sample code for pne7462c nfc reader interface of ( uart / i2c / spi )

Tags (1)
0 Kudos