cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN5180 - Raspberry Pi Initialization

mooncake
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to drive a PN5180 from a raspberry Pi, using the library, but I'm getting the following error and am unable to figure out the reason. I triple checked the build instruction in the PDF and the connections to the board.

pi@raspberrypi:~/SW369321/_build/Examples/NfcrdlibEx1_BasicDiscoveryLoop $ ./NfcrdlibEx1_BasicDiscoveryLoop

BasicDiscoveryLoop Example:

Line: 123   Error - (0xF181) has occurred in NFCLIB

I get the error both with board plugged to the RPi, and I also tested with nothing plugged in to see if a different error is presented.

It seems that something is wrong in the interaction with the RPi when using the board config for the PN5180, as opposed to the board config for the RC663; as you can see in the screenshots below, when compiling against the board config for the RC663 I can see the library tries to initialize the board via SPI, whereas for the board config for the PN5180 there is no communication at all on the SPI bus.

RC663 Board ConfigRC663 Board ConfigPN5180 Board ConfigPN5180 Board Config

I did enable SPI as requested by the manual, is there anything else that needs to be changed on the RPi, or maybe a known incompatibility with the version of Raspbian and the kernel I'm running?

Many thanks

This is on a clean RPi install with version as below:

Spoiler
pi@raspberrypi:~/SW369321/_build/Examples/NfcrdlibEx1_BasicDiscoveryLoop $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release: 10
Codename: buster
pi@raspberrypi:~/SW369321/_build/Examples/NfcrdlibEx1_BasicDiscoveryLoop $ uname -r
5.4.51-v7+

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Draxter
Contributor II

I also have the same problem. 

DiscoveryLoop Example:

Line: 135 Error - (0xF181) has occurred in NFCLIB 

0 Kudos

mooncake
Contributor I

Hi,

I could not solve it unfortunately, I reverted to writing my own library in python (https://github.com/fservida/pyPN5180) but it is a very rough attempt at just getting the UID from a card; it works sufficiently for my application so I did not dig further. Feel free to try it out, and maybe use it as a base for more functionality.

I'd also be very interested in an official answer from NXP about that.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Seagull_Island
Contributor I

I have exactly the same issue (except for error happening on line 135) and I'd be interested to know how did you manage to solve it.   

Official response from NXP support is welcome too.

0 Kudos