USB to IDE (highspeed USB)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to IDE (highspeed USB)

jy
Contributor I

Hi sir, Can you give me some suggestion ? i want to design a High speed USB to IDE product, it is like OTG, but there is a different, the IDE part is not connnect to IDE driver, it will be connect to PC IDE port. any chipset or solution are suitable in my case ?

USBtoIDE.jpg

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-10-28 09:10 AM
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

stalisman
Contributor III

There is a question mark over High Speed USB on the MF5445x.

Simply put: it is not proven that it works satisfactorily, certainly not via the ULPI interface on the EVB. 

I have had no luck finding examples of working code that gives an effective data throughput and peer review of our code shows no problem.

Whether there is a problem with the silicon or not is a worry.

Personally I am waiting for a MQX release with working High Speed for the MCF5445x because that seems the only way to get any concrete information out of freescale.

0 Kudos

stalisman
Contributor III

I happened to be looking at some USB code of ours yesterday and wasn't too happy about it so I looked again at MQX and in particular the msd demo.

Although better than ours it is not brilliant.

Doing very little at all it manages a max throughout of 2.5MBytes/Sec at High Speed.

Increasing the packet size from 64 bytes to 256 bytes makes an improvement, but still nothing to write home about.

It is however a better demonstration than a competitor's RTOS which dribbles along at 500KBytes/Sec.

So the question is, given that the MQX demo does verry little with the data, what is causing the low bandwidth and how can it be improved?

Message Edited by stalisman on 2010-01-22 10:54 AM
Message Edited by stalisman on 2010-01-22 10:56 AM
0 Kudos

JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi stalisman,

so you probably talks about MQX's USB device stack. The low bandwidth is done by: USB device stack itself, there are may calls, what's a payment for robustness. This does not mean we are statisfied with current status and we will try to improve it. For beginning, we should merge HDK's and DDK's common parts together.

0 Kudos

stalisman
Contributor III

Hi JuroV,

Thank you for your response, and yes, it is the device stack.

I am having problems getting throughput with my own code and so I looked to see how you guys did it .... get some tips hopefully.

I understand how making robustness a priority can affect throughput, it is always a compromise.

At the moment I am about to do some timings of how long it takes to Prime an Endpoint on our MCF54450, ie the duration of the delay twixt setting and completion.

It may shed some light, it may not, but it's something to do.

Message Edited by stalisman on 2010-02-09 03:30 PM
0 Kudos

JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Correct me if I am wrong: you need to build a device: you will connect there USB flash drive and with such device you will connect to the PC to act as a normal HDD.

http://www.st-lab.com/assign.asp?keyid=bq5

jv

0 Kudos

jy
Contributor I

juroV,

Yes, you are right, I need a pendriver or remove HD  can be act as ide driver.

But the link which you post is  not my want, because it just be a "IDE to USB" adaptor (the IDE via usb port to communicate with PC ).

Message Edited by jy on 2009-11-04 01:29 AM
0 Kudos

JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry, you are right. Use USB host in your application. Look at MFS/examples/mfs_usb and MFS/examples/mfs_cfcard_usb (available only for m52259evb) for compact flash example (CF also uses ATA commands).

0 Kudos

jy
Contributor I

can you send the link or file  to me ?

and the USB mustbe work on high-speed(480M) .

0 Kudos

JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. Download latest MQX and install it.

2. Test examples in MFS or USB folder.

About HS: nowadays only mcf54455 is supported for HS, however default BSP is set to FS.

0 Kudos

jy
Contributor I

I'm search it's datasheet from freescale, it just said MCF54455 support USB 2.0 On-the-Go .

but never said is it High-speed USB  or full-speed USB chipset.

can you tell me is it supprot High-speed (480Mpds)? and the CF support DMA mode ?

Message Edited by jy on 2009-11-06 08:49 AM
0 Kudos

JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As I said, it supports HS.

From MCF54455 Data Sheet, Rev. 6: 6 Power Consumption - "USB HS File Copy consumption"

From MCF54455 Reference Manual Rev. 2: 21.1.1 Overview - "The ULPI interface
option supports high-speed (HS) applications."

Every USB module over ColdFires work in DMA mode.

Message Edited by JuroV on 2009-11-06 10:39 AM
0 Kudos

JuroV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

you need a pendrive to act as IDE driver: well, that's what on the hyperlinked webpage. You connect to that device flash drive and you can connect it to the PATA 40 pin connector (you can have your USB flash disk acting like your PATA hard disk).

0 Kudos