Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEC toolv6 cannot determine start address from .elf/.axf file

Jump to solution
lorv
Contributor III

Hi,

I have newly installed the Secure provisioning tool v6 on a windows host.

When I provide the "Source executable image" the "Start address" turn red and it states "Not Valid".
I have tried it with en .elf file from my own application built with arm-none-eabi-gcc, and with a .axf built with the MCUXpresso IDE and an example application from the SDK.

I am using the MIMXRT685-EVK with a MX25UM51345G NOR flash over FlexSPI Port B which I have selected for the build and also in the SEC tool.

From the User guide and the training video it is my understanding, that the SEC tool should determine the right start address itself from the .elf file.

Any help on this is highly appreciated!

Regards,
lorv

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lorv
Contributor III

Ok I have found the solution.

I have not specified that the application should reside in flash and therefore the start address was not valid for the Secure provisioning tool.

It would be nice though, if the tool would give a little more in terms of error messages for one to work with.

cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lorv
Contributor III

Ok I have found the solution.

I have not specified that the application should reside in flash and therefore the start address was not valid for the Secure provisioning tool.

It would be nice though, if the tool would give a little more in terms of error messages for one to work with.

cheers

0 Kudos
lorv
Contributor III

I forgot to mention, that I have tested both, the .elf and the .axf, files on the target board and they work.
The right address should therefore be included in those files, but somehow the SEC tool cannot parse them.

0 Kudos
marek-trmac
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

I suppose the problem is in the image format. MCUXpresso SDK examples by default provide bootable image including FCB (flash configuration block). This format is not supported in SEC tool yet, and you need to remove FCB from the image - see chapter 6.5.1 in User Guide for detailed instructions.

BTW, in the tool, the error message is displayed as a tooltip, in this case, I suppose error message is "Bootable image is not supported, image without header must be used"

And yes, determination of start address from ELF format produced by MCUxpresso IDE is supported in SEC tool.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Marek
0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

could you please provide screenshot of the error and also provide what example you use, what SDK, MCUXpresso IDE versions and if you did any changes (linker files, etc.)?

Ideally if you can attach the elf/axf as well, if it does not contain any proprietary code.

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos