cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPSCI vs UART in MCUXpresso SDK

Jump to solution
MarkPotts
Contributor III

I am building a new MCUXpresso project based on a KL02 processor and developing using a FRDM-KL02Z board. I have created a project using the SDK for this board and I am able to compile and debug successfully. The project uses a UART for serial communications.

When I look at the SDK example code for this board I see Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter drivers prefixed LPSCI. However when I look at the SDK API online I see versions with drivers prefixed UART and and versions prefixed LPSCI.

Were the serial communications drivers renamed to LPSCI or are these different in some way? If anyone can clarify this for me I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MarkPotts,

Yes, in some cases, the UART driver is named LPSCI (Low Power Serial Communication Interface) and in others only UART (or even LPUART for low power).

These depends on the board you may be using, but there are not any differences in these examples if both work with the UART peripheral.

Hope you find this helpful!

Best regards, Julián

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarkPotts
Contributor III

I have found yet another on-line version of the SDK API documentation that uses LPUART as the UART driver prefix. At this point I am totally confused. The driver prefixes in the example applications from the SDK do not match the on-line API documentation. This makes it difficult to write forward/backward compatible code. 

When I do a Google search for API functions I get directed to arbitrary versions of the API documentation. Do I need to reference a specific SDK API version for the development board/target MCU (FRDM-KL02Z/KL02Z32VFG4)? If so how do I find this? I was hoping there would be some way to access it through the IDE (e.g. via Installed SDKs) but I can't find anything.

0 Kudos
MarkPotts
Contributor III
Hi Julian, Thanks for the clarification. I have been doing this. It is just a bit confusing and difficult for portability to find function names changing between libraries. Mark
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

No problem @MarkPotts, I hope the issue is resolved.

As I said, the libraries may change depending on the board, so it is recommended to check the API manual for the specific device.

I'll set the case in an answered back state, and it will close in seven days from now.

Best regards, Julian

0 Kudos
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MarkPotts,

LPUART refers to the Low Power UART module, and its functions can be dependent on the board.

I would suggest downloading the SDK Package from MCUXpresso SDK Builder, search for the KL02Z board, select all the middleware that is needed and download the SDK Package.

In the download menu, you can select the "Download SDK Documentation".

Julin_AragnM_0-1666110180814.png

Inside "docs", you will find "MCUXpresso SDK API Reference Manual_MKL02Z4.pdf", which is the specific board manual, and latest revision. We recommend always checking the SDK documentation, as the online API manual may be general or not include all the functions in a certain board.

I hope you find this helpful!

Best regards, Julian.

Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MarkPotts,

Yes, in some cases, the UART driver is named LPSCI (Low Power Serial Communication Interface) and in others only UART (or even LPUART for low power).

These depends on the board you may be using, but there are not any differences in these examples if both work with the UART peripheral.

Hope you find this helpful!

Best regards, Julián

MarkPotts
Contributor III
Thanks Julián