cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso IDE tool build speed is too slow

Jump to solution
Seongyon_Jeong
Contributor III

Hi.,   Now  I am developing  one project   On  RT1020 Board, using MCUXpresso IDE

By the way,   Time to take building one project is too long,  too slow.

So. If there  are any  suggestions  under my circumstance,  please Let me know..  any tips

Processor : i7-13700F 2.1Ghz  RAM:32GB  Win11pro

Properties of Project>  c/c++ Build>  Behavior tap ,   

Checked  Enable paralled build- Use optional jobs(24)  => so always  use  -j24 option,

SDK example case,  In  Debug mode,  not release mode

evkmimxrt1020_lwip_ipv6_echo_freertos  building,  it tooks  (1ms 6s 762ms)

Seongyon_Jeong_0-1694590217890.png

Seongyon_Jeong_1-1694590322118.png

Is it  normal build speed ???  It is Just benchmark. based on SDK example.

In case of My project,  When I  build,  it take too much time,   4Minute 10 second

Seongyon_Jeong_2-1694591359000.png

bss region` size,  because just FreeRTOSConfig.h total heap size. setting is big.

Flash image size, programmed   about 550KByte  ,      

Seongyon_Jeong_3-1694591633472.png

curiously ,   axf file size is 11MB

Seongyon_Jeong_4-1694591835912.png

anyway,   Is it   normal  build speed  (4m 10s) ??,   If it is not,   please any tips. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @Seongyon_Jeong ,

I cannot say it is 'normal', because it really depends on your host machine setup, the compiler options and number of files.

A big factor is all the firewall and virus scanning checkers in the background. We had build machines affecting in the area of 3-10x on this. So it might be that the biggest impact on your end is from the IT infrastructure side.

What I have done for larger projects is switching from make to CMake and Ninja based builds, resulting in a ~10x factor build time improvement:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2023/04/19/building-a-triumvirate-from-eclipse-cdt-to-cmake-cmd-and-visual-...

Last point: don't worry about the .axf/.elf file size, because it really should not matter in your case, as long the file is not in the hundreds of MByte area.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @Seongyon_Jeong ,

I cannot say it is 'normal', because it really depends on your host machine setup, the compiler options and number of files.

A big factor is all the firewall and virus scanning checkers in the background. We had build machines affecting in the area of 3-10x on this. So it might be that the biggest impact on your end is from the IT infrastructure side.

What I have done for larger projects is switching from make to CMake and Ninja based builds, resulting in a ~10x factor build time improvement:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2023/04/19/building-a-triumvirate-from-eclipse-cdt-to-cmake-cmd-and-visual-...

Last point: don't worry about the .axf/.elf file size, because it really should not matter in your case, as long the file is not in the hundreds of MByte area.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
Seongyon_Jeong
Contributor III

You're right, Just ago, I check firewall, virus scanning CPU utilization across all cores... I found Reason Lab engine so big.
so, I changed it to Lite version & option of protection software.
Now 4m 10s --> 33s.. it is amazing.. speed..to me,,,,very much thanks..!!

and Also, I will try to apply CMake build

0 Kudos