cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso IDE 10.5 Multilink FX debug problem

marcinstyczen
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm using Pemicro Multilink FX debugger, my target is IMXRT1176 uP connected by SWD protocol, program running from SDRAM.

I have problem during start-up debug session on MCUXpresso IDE 10.5.0 (Windows 10).
The waiting time of start-up of debug (from build finish to ready to run) is increasing every next session.

I measured these times for each debug session:
- 1st - 16 seconds
- 2nd - 22 seconds
- 3rd - 28 seconds
- 4th - 50 seconds
- 5th - 55 seconds
- 6th - 65 seconds
and longer...

I can reset this time back to about 16seconds by close and open MCU Xpresso again.

Previously I used MCUXpresso IDE 10.3.0, everything was ok, debug session was always starting within several seconds.

Best regards

0 Kudos
9 Replies

marcinstyczen
Contributor I

Hello, thanks for feedback.
We use custom board, but I checked behavior using RT1170-EVK board.

As I observed problem is not related to the project but to the debugger probe:
I created example project evkmimxrt1170_hello_world_demo_cm7 with default settings from SDK.
Then tried to debug on the RT1170-EVK board (code in Flash QSPI as default):
- Using on-board OpenSDA probe - no problems - debug sessions were starting within 15 seconds always.
- Using PEmicro Multilink FX debug probe - debug sessions start took longer and longer for each try: 9s, 18s, 25s, 37s, ...

So, it seems MCUXpresso IDE 10.5.0 was not tested and is not working correctly with this probe.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

We are able to continuously debug using rt1170+pemicro (multilink fx) on IDE 11.5.0, windows 10, at ~ 16 seconds for hello_world_demo_cm7 project (we tried ~10 times in a row).

Might it be a special window with special content kept open during debug? Like Breakpoints window with many breaks, Variables window with many variables, Registers/Peripherals+, etc?

Can you please reset perspective (Window->Perspective->Reset Perspective) and try again?

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @marcinstyczen ,

Thanks for your information.

Could you please also test this code in the SDK: led_blinky project with your Multlink, whether it also meet the same issues?

As the led_blinky don't use the SDRAM, but the hello_world need to use the SDRAM, then the related script need also to configure the SEMC when debug it.

I will also find a Multilink and test it on my side.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

marcinstyczen
Contributor I

Hello Kerry,

I checked evkmimxrt1170_iled_blinky_cm7 project.
The same problem also exist in this project, so concluding, it's not related to the SDRAM script.

What I observed, the project doesn't matter.
When I launch debug sessions in some project, then I close this project, open and debug another project, debug start time does not go back to "normal" time, it's still growing.

Best regards

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @marcinstyczen ,

Thanks for your information.

Do you test the code run in RAM situation?

Today, I test it on my side, I find RAM code works with Multilink, but to the flash, I even can't download it.

kerryzhou_0-1646384029210.png

I will do more checking about the flash download with the Multilink, and also report to internal IDE team.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

marcinstyczen
Contributor I

Hello Kerry,

I checked code form SRAM (ITC), the same behavior.

What I found, starting program on the target is always ok.

I switched off "Set breakpoint at main" debbuger option, in this case program is loading and starting quickly, within few seconds always, that's ok.
However the debbuger need more time to "get control" over the target.
For example, when I set some breakpoint or pause program MCUXpresso is thinking longer and longer to make this request.

Best regards

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @marcinstyczen ,

@lpcxpresso_supp is our MCUXpresso IDE expert, do you follow his advice:

please reset perspective (Window->Perspective->Reset Perspective) 

Any improve or not? Then, you also can reply to our lpcxpresso_supp.

In fact, I don't have Mulitlink FX, I am using MUltilink universal. I also report my meet issues to our internal side.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

marcinstyczen
Contributor I

Hello
@kerryzhou,
@lpcxpresso_supp 

Unfortunatelly no improvements.
I attached screenshot.
Before debuggger stops at entry of main function and shows source I see this screen (breakpoint at main enabled).
Status on the bottom shows all the time "Launching project: (100%)" with moving progress bar.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @marcinstyczen ,

Thanks for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide service for you.

Please tell me which detail MIMXRT1170 board you are using? NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK board?

Can you reproduce the issues on the NXP board and the newest SDK with the MCUXPresso IDE 10.5?

If yes, please tell me the detail project and the test steps to reproduce the issues, then I can try to reproduce it at first.

You run the code from SDRAM, do you copy all the code in the SDRAM, please also let me know your settings about the code run SDRAM with your Mulitlink, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos