How do I set start_symbol (for linker directive ENTRY)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set start_symbol (for linker directive ENTRY)?

rshipman
Contributor V

Hi,

How do I change the linker directive ENTRY to point at something other than ResetISR, without either:

• Turning managed linker script generation off, and editting the linker .ld file.
  • Copying linkscript_common.ldt to my project and editting it?

Neither of which are particularly desirable. If there was a linkscript_entry.ldt which just held the ENTRY call, that would probably be ok.

However, the linkscript_common.ldt contains the line: ENTRY(${start_symbol})

So it looks like I should be able to just set start_symbol and not have to mess about with .ldt or .ld files.

How or where is start_symbol set please? It seems to be automatically set to ResetISR somewhere, but I cannot find it.

I tried setting it as a build symbol but that didn't work, not surprisingly, as I imagine this linker file generation is outside of the build framework.

Many thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

converse
Senior Contributor V

What are you actually trying to achieve? Changing the linker ENTRY symbol will have no affect on your program at all. All it does, is set the entry symbol in the AXF file, which is used by program loaders to find the entry point of your program, but for flash based programs, the 'entry' of your program is defined in the vector table (at address 0x4) and this is set in the startup code.

0 Kudos