cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8 SDK IDE

daniel_mul
Contributor I

Dear support community,

I am a second year bachelor student in electrical engineering, so I'm quite new to developing from scratch. I am currently researching how to enable the hs400 mode on the imx8 platform. I am programming from a windows machine.

I have downloaded the mcuXpresso SDK for the imx8m evaluation kit. For the last two weeks I have used the makefile form the SDK to form a binary file. Which I then uploaded on an SD-card and then loaded it with U-boot. The only way i currently know how to debug is over UART.

I saw on the forum that the SDK was not supported by the mcuXpresso IDE. Is there any IDE or tool that is recommended/supported by NXP that allows for debugging and programming the imx8 without U-boot?

Kind regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
2 Replies

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

For the I.MX 8 we only have SDK examples for GCC ARM and IAR,

Please be aware that IAR is not free to use,

You can check this out here

[https://www.iar.com/iar-embedded-workbench/#!?currentTab=whats-included&readMoreBlock=IDE%2520tools]

For more information regarding the use of the SDK using IAR,

Check the Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK, you'll find this at:

"download route" -> SDK_2.5.1_*target chip/board* -> docs

Section 4 Run a demo application using IAR

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos

daniel_mul
Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.

I have followed the following instructions:

1. Open the desired demo application workspace.
2. Select the desired build target from the drop-down. For this example, select the “hello_world – Debug” target.
3. To build the demo application, click the “Make” button, highlighted in red below.
4. The build completes without errors.

But when I execute the Make button the I get errors:

Error[438]: This instruction is not available in the selected cpu/core C:\Users\dmul\Downloads\SDK_2.5.1_EVK-MIMX8MQ_iar\devices\MIMX8MQ6\iar\startup_MIMX8MQ6_cm4.s 211
Error[446]: The selected cpu/core does not support this status register C:\Users\dmul\Downloads\SDK_2.5.1_EVK-MIMX8MQ_iar\devices\MIMX8MQ6\iar\startup_MIMX8MQ6_cm4.s 216
Error[438]: This instruction is not available in the selected cpu/core C:\Users\dmul\Downloads\SDK_2.5.1_EVK-MIMX8MQ_iar\devices\MIMX8MQ6\iar\startup_MIMX8MQ6_cm4.s 218
Error[438]: This instruction is not available in the selected cpu/core C:\Users\dmul\Downloads\SDK_2.5.1_EVK-MIMX8MQ_iar\devices\MIMX8MQ6\iar\startup_MIMX8MQ6_cm4.s 219

Do you know why this happens?

(I am using the last sdk update by the way)

Kind regards,

Daniel

EDIT:

I think the reason i cannot make the binary is that the imx8 series are note officially supported by IAR...

I did the following to fix it:

-Open in the SDK hello_world.eww

-In the project settings (alt + f7)

-general options -> processor variant-> core -> select "m4"

0 Kudos