Trying to transfer example app to KL03Z. What is wrong with my workflow?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to transfer example app to KL03Z. What is wrong with my workflow?

Jump to solution
denbigh1974
Contributor II

I have a NXP board type FRDM-KL03Z with bootloader Version 1.11 and PEMicro FRDM-KL03Z Mass Storage/Debug App ver 1.18 installed in the board's auxiliary processor.

Using the ARM GCC toolchain and MCUXpresso SDK 2.3.1, I have successfully built the example "hello_world.elf" file.

I downloaded and installed the USB driver "Windows PEDrivers_install.exe" from http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/index.cfm
Windows 7 Device Manager is showing this under Ports as "OpenSDA - CDC Serial Port (COM4)"

I converted the .elf file to .srec file
(Didn't know how to do this in Windows so I temporarily transferred to a Linux computer and used the following command:
arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O srec hello_world.elf hello_world.srec
Not sure if this conversion step is necessary.)

I then copied "hello_world.srec" to the FRDM-KL03Z board on my Windows 7 pc.

In Windows, I set up a terminal session on PuTTY with serial port COM4, 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit (no Parity, no flow control) specified.

When I pressed the reset button on the the FRDM-KL03Z board, I expected to see "hello world" on the PuTTY screen. But there was no response.

Where have I gone wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
denbigh1974
Contributor II

denbigh1974@gmx.net wrote:

Con Verse wrote:

You need to copy a binary file to the device, not an SREC file.

But if you are trying to develop an application, I suggest you use an IDE with a debugger, such as MCUXpresso, Keil etc.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm a confused beginner. According to the following webpage, if I'm using P&E Micro's debugging interface I should download the file as .s19 or .srec, using OpenSDA v1:

OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter | NXP 

At the moment, I'm not trying to develop an application. I just wish to establish that I can transfer a .srec file and get the KL03Z to operate

To answer my own question, I found that I had to transfer the file in .srec format from the p.c. to the board and then disconnect/reconnect the board's USB link

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
denbigh1974
Contributor II

Con Verse wrote:

But if you are trying to develop an application, I suggest you use an IDE with a debugger, such as MCUXpresso, Keil etc.

I'm a confused beginner. According to the following webpage, if I'm using P&E Micro's debugging interface I should download the file as .s19 or .srec, using OpenSDA v1:

At the moment, I'm not trying to develop an application. I just wish to establish that I can transfer a .srec file and get the KL03Z to operate

0 Kudos
denbigh1974
Contributor II

denbigh1974@gmx.net wrote:

Con Verse wrote:

To answer my own question, I found that I had to transfer the file in .srec format from the p.c. to the board and then disconnect/reconnect the board's USB link

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

0 Kudos