cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDK with bootloader for LPC54607J256

mehdi-cubic
Contributor II

Hi,
I am unable to create SDK for LPC54607J256 with "MCU Boot". If I select the processor first, the SDK builder lets me to choose the MCU Boot, but then removes the hardware for the next step, so does that mean the middleware is not available for this processor?
Does this processor come with a bootloader in its ROM?
If so, will I need to port the bootloader of another processor?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

mehdi-cubic
Contributor II

However, I still need a confirmation on the capabilities of the bootloader shipped with the LPC546xx (specifically where xx=07, if any different) (this is the bootloader residing at: 0x0300 0000 - 0x0300 FFFF).

When UM10212 section 3.1 states:
"Contains the boot loader with In-System Programming (ISP) facility and the following
APIs:" and then continues with: – Legacy, Single, and Dual image boot.

Am I right thinking that these are only the API services designed to help the SBL to do manage th upgrade, but will not manage the upgrade itself. In which case, I will need to create my own SBL, which uses one of Legacy, Single or Dual image boot.

Thanks again,
Mehdi

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, my name is Pavel, and I will be supporting your case, I reviewed your information.

The SDK is available here on this page. Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder (nxp.com)

The MCU boot is available here 9on this page. MCU Bootloader | NXP Semiconductors

This MCU has a ROM bootloader, so you will need a secondary bootloader. Maybe this app could help you. LPC5460x UART Secondary Bootloader using YModem (nxp.com)

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

mehdi-cubic
Contributor II

Hi Pavel,

Could you please let me know if LPC546xx is shipped with a bootloader in its 64k ROM as described in LPC546XX.pdf (section 7.9). If so, what is the role of that bootloader and its relation with the SBL that you think I should create for the device?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

mehdi-cubic
Contributor II

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for quick response.

Please note that the LPC54607J512ET180 in my project is a secondary MCU connected to a main processor via an SPI and I2C bus. Therefore (in the field) the user application on the LPC546xx will be upgraded by the user application running on the main processor.

Looking at MBOOT250RN.pdf, I read that: “The MCU bootloader detects communication traffic on one of the supported peripherals (USB-HID, USB-MSC, UART, SPI, I2C, and CAN), downloads a user application, and writes the application to internal flash” (that is when the ISP_0, 1, & 2 are controlled see NXP_LPC546xx_User_Manual.pdf page-128).

I was counting on the main processor to setup the ISP_x pins, before resetting the LPC546xx and then using the above method to carryout FW upgrades using IAP method that blhost_2.6.7 uses.

I have been creating SDKs using the links that you included, but as I mentioned in my original post, when I select the MCU Boot as the “Required Middleware”, then LPC54607J512 is not available as “Required Hardware”, so that lead me believe that LPC54607 is not one of the "select" products where the MCU Boot is available for.  On the other hand, I also read in AN13352.pdf (table-1, page-2) that: "Binary preprogrammed in ROM by NXP (User cannot change) ". This further confused me!

So could you please clarify. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, thanks for sharing more information, is clear now, you do not need the MCU BOOT, because the LPC54 has the Bootloader in ROM more called ISP mode. Follow the documentation Chapter 3: LPC546xx Boot process and saw Fig 4. Legacy image boot process flowchart.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

mehdi-cubic
Contributor II

Hi Pavel,

Chapter 3 in https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/LPC546XX.pdf is “Ordering information”, not a “Boot process” and I can’t see the “Fig 4”, so could you give me a link to the document you are referring to please. I have also checked Chapter 3 in UM10912 (user manual).

Is it possible that I might have programmed over the MCU BOOT (while running the demo applications using the MCUXpresso IDE), or is the ROM area containing this bootloader inaccessible?

Regards,

Mehdi

0 Kudos

mehdi-cubic
Contributor II
Sorry Pavel, I realized that I was looking at Rev 1.3 of the UM1012. Looking at Rev. 2.4, I now see that chapter 3 is indeed about Boot Process!
Thank you.