MCU Boot how to get it running on the MIMXRT1020-EVK without being in serial mode?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCU Boot how to get it running on the MIMXRT1020-EVK without being in serial mode?

Jump to solution
anonomous_programmer
Contributor II

I posted this on the i.MX RT side of the NXP forums and wanted to move it here where it would be more appropriate.

I am trying to get the MIMXRT1020 running the flashloader program from the SDK on Keil. Ultimately, I would like to modify this program to accept commands and data from the SPI pins instead of UART or USB on the MIMXRT1024.

The only way I have been able to run this and see the MCU over USB with the NXP flashloader on the PC is by setting the SW8[3:4] to serial downloader mode (b01) and not by running it as internal boot (b10)

The example from the SDK had this only running from RAM and not from flash. Are there any examples for first copying the MCU bootloader to RAM from flash before running?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi anonomous_programmer,

Flashloader code is used to let the customer download the code through the USB HID and the UART when in the serial download mode. In fact, when you download the code, it also will load the flashloader to the internal RAM at first. That's why you find the flashloader is the RAM project, not the Flash project.

If you want to use the SPI to receive the command to program the chip, I think you may need to design you own flashoader, as the SDK flashloader just support the UART and the USB HID, more details, you can check the SDK document:

SDK_2.8.0_MIMXRT1024-EVK_doc\docs\mcu-boot\MCU Flashloader Reference Manual.pdf

SDK can be downloaded from this link:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/dashboard?uvid=312465&to_vault=true

About the flash reside flashloader, you can refer to the RT1060 otabootloader:

SDK_2.8.6_EVK-MIMXRT1060_freertos\boards\evkmimxrt1060\bootloader_examples\ota_bootloader

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
p_shep
Contributor IV

What's the difference between the flashloader and the OTA bootloader? On the surface they look the same

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi anonomous_programmer,

Flashloader code is used to let the customer download the code through the USB HID and the UART when in the serial download mode. In fact, when you download the code, it also will load the flashloader to the internal RAM at first. That's why you find the flashloader is the RAM project, not the Flash project.

If you want to use the SPI to receive the command to program the chip, I think you may need to design you own flashoader, as the SDK flashloader just support the UART and the USB HID, more details, you can check the SDK document:

SDK_2.8.0_MIMXRT1024-EVK_doc\docs\mcu-boot\MCU Flashloader Reference Manual.pdf

SDK can be downloaded from this link:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/dashboard?uvid=312465&to_vault=true

About the flash reside flashloader, you can refer to the RT1060 otabootloader:

SDK_2.8.6_EVK-MIMXRT1060_freertos\boards\evkmimxrt1060\bootloader_examples\ota_bootloader

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
anonomous_programmer
Contributor II

You guys are awesome!

This will work perfectly for what I need to reference. I am also referencing the Kinesis 2.0 MCU bootloader to see how SPI is stepped through as another peripheral during the boot up process. I think between all of that I should be able to get something pieced together.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Thanks for your compliment.

Any new questions in the future, welcome to create the new case.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos