cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KBOOT 2.0 KinetisFlashTool

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

I am testing KBOOT 2.0 with KinetisFlashTool. I am trying to open the KinetisFlashTool by using Visual Studio 2015 and I can build two dll file, but not application.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it to generate KinetisFlashTool.exe?

Thanks,

Christie

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

eatonzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

Please make sure your Visual Stdio supports MFC. Not all editions of VS2015 support it.

BTW, you can get the KinetisFlashTool.exe under the folder $(bootloader_package)\bin\Tools\KinetisFlashTool\win.

Most cases, you wouldn't need to build it by yourself.

Best Regards,

Yitao

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Yitao,

Thank you for the answers. I found the problem.

When I use KDS to generate the code in debug mode, I will get the much bigger size. But if I m generate the code in release mode, it works with 0xA000 address. I was told before that the running code in debug/release mode should be the same, now I know it is not true.

Could you confirm it for me? I should always use the code in release mode when the debugging is done?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

eatonzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

Yes, they are not the same. Because optimization is closed under debug mode.

Suggest to use the bootloader compiled in release mode.

Most cases, you don't need to debug the bootloader. It's NXP guy's work. So just use the code in release mode.

Best Regards,

Yitao

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Yitao,

Yes. You are right. But, I need to customize it, like the different LED indication, Network interface, and etc...

Do you know what kind of debug interface I can use to debug the boot-loader like Hyper-Terminal?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

eatonzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

I'm not sure I get your questions clearly. 

Do you need a tool to debug the communication between host and bootloader?

If yes, I think you can use blhost with '-d' parameter. blhost will print all packet data transfering between it and bootloader.

But I'm afraid that currently, blhost doesn't support ethernet interface.

Best Regards,

Yitao

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

I am using KinetisFlashTool to load the demo project on FRDM-K64F and got the error. And it looks like that the flashbootloader starting address is different from 0xA000. Could you tell me how to change it?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

Can have somebody to answer my question? I tried on FRDM-K64, and FRDM-K66, they have the same problem:

When  I open KinetisFlashtool, it only allows me to flash to 0x12000 address, not 0xA000? KBOOT 2.0 has changed the setting, how to use 0XA000 address?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

eatonzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

The size of the reserved region looks incorrect. 

Most of the freedom&tower bootloader have a code size less than 40K. (except the ones with more features, such as K82)

But I'm not sure if you have modified any thing in the packet.

If you need help about the code size, please offer me more details. I'm very glad to help you.

Best Regards,

Yitao

0 Kudos

eatonzhang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

I'm so sorry not reply you until now.

In the status part, at left of the Kinetis Flash Tool, we can know that the flash reserved region is 0x0 to 0x11FFF, where Kinetis Bootloader locates. So 0xA000 locates at the reserved region. To protect Kinetis Bootloader, writing to reserved region is forbidden. 

You can optimize bootloader, or modify bootloader_config.h in the bootloader project to remove some feature you don't need to minimize the code size of bootloader.

Best Regards,

Yitao.

0 Kudos