Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Barker Code in Header Error

brandensherrell
Contributor III

When attempting to Secure Boot I am met with an error when U-boot is loaded:

SEC0: RNG instantiated

PPA validation startedERROR :: 4 :: Wrong barker code in header

SEC_MON state transitioning to Soft Fail.

SEC_MON state transitioning to Non Secure.

Generating reset request

resetting ...

I was surprised the ESBC was executed at all considering it was not validated. What I observe is U-boot being loaded and immediately restarting to the default bank. I do not have time to query the scratch registers, but I imagine them to be written with error code 0x302 indicating the Barker Code was incorrect.

I flashed a RCW with SBEN=1. The source of the RCW includes uboot_hdr_addr.rcw, which simply includes a PBI command:

write 0xee0200, 0x60080000

I can stop the core and query this address and the value is written to this register location, so I know the PBI commands are getting executed.

Capture2.PNG

Also, if I memory dump the 0x60080000 region I see the Barker header as expected.

Capture.PNG

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Your u-Boot clearly says what is the problem. It attempts to find a PPA
image and fails. PPA concept is described here:

https://freescale.sdlproducts.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/QorIQ_SDK/GUID-0BB77E9F-EE5E-441D-9292-D...

Have a great day,
Platon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

brandensherrell
Contributor III

This is not obvious from the error messages. The PPA images do not start with a Barker code preamble. There is no mention of a PPA header in any of the documentation I have found. I even have the application note for enabling secure boot on the LS1043ardb and it does not mention it.

After writing the PPA header I am still met with a similar error but no context to which it applies.

SEC0: RNG instantiated

PPA validation startedPPA validation Successful

PPA Firmware: Version 0.2

Firmware 'Microcode version 0.0.1 for LS1021a r1.0' for 1021 V1.0

QE: uploading microcode 'Microcode for LS1021a r1.0' version 0.0.1

PPA validation startedPPA validation Successful

Using SERDES1 Protocol: 5205 (0x1455)

Flash: 128 MiB

NAND:  512 MiB

MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0

Using default environment

EEPROM: NXID v1

PCIe1: disabled

PCIe2: Root Complex no link, regs @ 0x3500000

PCIe3: Root Complex no link, regs @ 0x3600000

In:    serial

Out:   serial

Err:   serial

SCSI:  Error: SCSI Controller(s) 1B4B:9170 not found

Net:   Fman1: Uploading microcode version 106.4.17

FM1@DTSEC1, FM1@DTSEC2, FM1@DTSEC3 [PRIME], FM1@DTSEC4, FM1@DTSEC5, FM1@DTSEC6, FM1@TGEC1

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

ERROR :: 4 :: Wrong barker code in header

SEC_MON state transitioning to Soft Fail.

SEC_MON state transitioning to Non Secure.

Generating reset request

resetting ...

0 Kudos

tschutte
Contributor III

Are you sure your CSF is where you expect it to be? Do you use any LAW's that move where your flash is initially? I havent done secureboot on any LS processors, but for the P and T series ones there are LAWs you need to be careful of.

0 Kudos

brandensherrell
Contributor III

As it turns out, this new error was related to the header not being present for the bootscript. I was not expecting there to be a requirement of a bootscript because the SDK 0.4 (Latest SDK prior to the recent merge into 2.0 three weeks ago) included a caveat that the Ls1043A-rdb had an elusive bug that forced them to exclude the use of a bootscript for a while; it seems as though this was fixed.

0 Kudos