LS1043 connection to JODY w3 chip

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1043 connection to JODY w3 chip

griggs11123
Contributor I

We are attempting to connect a JODY-W374-00A to an LS1043 processor.

There is a configuration pin (pin7) CONFIG[0] that is strapped low, and the schematic notes say that it put the BT interface in PCIe mode (if strapped high BT is in UART mode)

Now for my question.
There is a UART interface from the JODY chip to the LS1043. Does that mean when the JODY chip BT is in PCIe mode that the UART interface is "DEAD", and that the UART interface is only valid if the JODY chip BT is strapped in UART mode?

From Linux console:
=================
root@localhost:~# lspci
0000:00:00.0 PCI bridge: Freescale Semiconductor Inc Device 8080 (rev 10)
0000:01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Micron Technology Inc Device 6001 (rev 03)
0001:00:00.0 PCI bridge: Freescale Semiconductor Inc Device 8080 (rev 10)
0001:01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 2b43 (rev 03)
0001:01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 2b44 (rev 03)
0001:01:00.2 Bluetooth: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 2b45 (rev 03)
0 Kudos
18 Replies

michelle
NXP Pro Support
NXP Pro Support

Hi George,

I am a bit confused by your question here.  What data sheet do you see the PCIe option for the Bluetooth interface on the JODY module?  I am attaching the one I found (this part is actually new to me but seems quite simple enough a widget)...  It looks like the config pin selects only the WiFi data interface to be either SDIO or PCIe?  I think PCIe is likely what you want here?  The Bluetooth uses a UART interface and optionally/additionally an I2S/PCM for streamed audio.  So please do share the reference that shows this is also useable on the PCIe interface?  

I can see your lspci shows the BT section as an enumerated device here but does it give inbound/outbound windows or register level access or an overlay for the underlying UART FIFO''s?  I think you do need the UART pins to be connected and alive here though based on what I read in the attached datasheet.  This may just be how the module enumerates its functionality to the device driver (firmware on the module itself).

Best Regards

Michelle 

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III

Hello Michelle

This is Richard Adams at Canyon Aeroconnect, I work with George (@griggs11123)

The information about the PCIe option for BT is in the C2-restricted datasheet, available to signers of the NDA. It's document UBX-19011209. If you have access to this document the section of interest is 1.4.5 Configuration Pins, Table 7 on page 17. We have the part strapped for PCIe for both Wi/Fi and BT. Since it's a restricted datasheet it would be inappropriate to post it to this community webpage. If you don't have access to this document, then I can get Tom or Bill to see if it's OK to post it to our NXP portal. I don't have access to the portal. I have another question and would like to get it escalated since our support contract is running out and access to the portal will be terminated.

In Section 3 Software of that restricted C2 datasheet it states, "The driver package and additional documentation can also be obtained directly from NXP".

1. How do I get the driver package and additional documentation? We have all the NDAs in place can you send me the package and documentation using our NXP portal?
  2. The mode we are running in PCIE-PCIE is not listed as an available software package in section 3.1 Available software packages. Only PCIE-UART, SDIO-UART, and SDIO-SDIO are listed. This document is three years old. Does NXP now have the PCIE-PCIE package available, Since the Hardware seems to support this mode based on Table 7?

Thank You

Richard Adams

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III
@michelle, @tomleick
Can we expedite these two new Questions?
0 Kudos

michelle
NXP Pro Support
NXP Pro Support

Hi,

OK I am still trying to get our widget team on this part to respond to me about NDA access for ublox:)...  They will though eventually, its Friday so I think they may be offline for the weekend.  So nope dont have your NDA datasheet, and I agree do not share on the portal :)...    

The latest drivers I can find were here:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=BO_SD-WLAN-UART-BT-9098-U16-X86-MXM5X17286_V1-GPL&appTyp...

You may also want to have a look at the kernel configmenu to see if the 9098 drivers are a checkbox option and then your kernel would get them built in instead of modules. 

I had a look at the driver code and I cannot tell where the PCIe vs UART interfaces are being called out, hardware may mask that level from the driver which is doing register accesses. 

The BT driver does use the HCI interface under linux and is broken out separately from the WLAN driver entirely so it could be either.  If you have a way to tie the pin either way you may be able to test it?  What do you see with hcitool?  

BR,

Michelle

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III

@michelle

I do not have access to the link provided to the drive package. Can you download the package and post it to our portal.

Thank You

0 Kudos

michelle
NXP Pro Support
NXP Pro Support

OK

They answered me... kinda/sorta...

We found this:

https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-firmware/tree/lf-5.15.52_2.1.0/nxp/FwImage_9098_PCIE

Looks like a firmware that does what you want?  Drivers should sit on top and not care either way, but the one I pointed you at is expecting UART interface (wether that is UART pins or PCIe I think is a firmware thing).  I am told this should be integrated/available with our SDK releases but maybe only the most recent ones?

Further digging they state quite adamantly that BT has no PCIe interface beyond the firmware loader (over PCIe) saying it is present on the chipset, so you do want the UART.  No idea what ublox is selling here but I will reach out to them and ask them to stop if its not a real feature.

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III

@michelle 

Thanks for digging into this for us,

We are using the LSDK-21.08 SDK, I will verify the kernel configuration, and I will move forward with getting the boards strapped for a mode there is a driver package for. PCIE-UART. This answers the question about whether the UART port was need for the JODY module. We were trying to see if the port could be reallocated in the board re-spin.

Now we just need to get the driver package for PCIE-UART.

Thank You

0 Kudos

SebastianG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @griggs11123,

Regarding to the question "Does that mean when the JODY chip BT is in PCIe mode that the UART interface is "DEAD", and that the UART interface is only valid if the JODY chip BT is strapped in UART mode?"

According to the JODY-W374-00A datasheet and the page of NXP, yes the UART interface only is valid if the JODY chip BT  is in UART mode.

As you can see in the following images and link:

https://www.nxp.com/products/wireless/wi-fi-plus-bluetooth-plus-802-15-4/wi-fi-plus-bluetooth-plus-8...

SebastianG_0-1692216692363.pngSebastianG_1-1692216711139.png

Regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

SebastianG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hello @griggs11123,

I would like to inform you that I'm working on your question, I will let you know as soon as I have an update.

Thank you so much for your patience

Regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

griggs11123
Contributor I

Hi Sebastian.-

Did I give you enough info? I might be able to get more.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

SebastianG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
Apologies for the delayed response,

Could you please share with me your schematics and a log when the issue appear?
0 Kudos

griggs11123
Contributor I

I'll get the schematics over once mgt says OK. The question involved documentation (system info as given above) rather than an incident.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III

Sebastian

Your answer is a bit confusing to me. I seem to see a disconnect between the text in your answer and the attached tables.

You stated, "yes the UART interface only is valid if the JODY chip BT is in UART mode."

The attached table 1 only shows UART for Host Bluetooth interface (no other option)

The second attached table and the link state the Bluetooth interface has three options UART, PCM, or I2S

When I do a lshw or a lspci from the Linux console, it shows Bluetooth on the PCIe bus, and PCIe is not listed is the date you reference.

If I ignore your attached tables and link and just go with your text my confusion is cleared up, but I have a follow-on questions:

1. If the JODY chip BT is not in BT mode, what mode is it in?
  2. Is this BT Mode just for BT audio, and all other BT data is on the PCIe bus?

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III
Correction to Question 1:
If the JODY chip BT is not in UART mode, what mode is it in?
0 Kudos

SebastianG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @richardadams,

Just to let you know that I'm still working on your questions, I will let you know as soon as I have an update.

Thank you so much for your patience

Regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III

@SebastianG I think @michelle answered the basic question. Although the Jody Module HW seems to support the PCIE-PCIE mode there is no driver package from NXP for that mode. So the UART port is required. I'm just waiting for the PCIE-UART driver package. Or is that what you are working on? Either getting me the package or access to the link Michelle provided?

Here is the link provided for the driver package (I presume it's the driver package the datasheet talks about), but I don't have access to the location the link points to.

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=BO_SD-WLAN-UART-BT-9098-U16-X86-MXM5X17286_V1-GPL&appTyp...

0 Kudos

michelle
NXP Pro Support
NXP Pro Support

Hi Richard,

The driver package link was one I found but this was an internal only release and we cannot make it accessible.  The drivers you need should be included with our SDK already however if they are not present after configuring the kernel you could just add the module per the instructions in the ublox EVK-JODY-W3 user guide:

Wifi driver:  https://github.com/nxp-imx/mwiflex

Firmware:  https://github.com/NXP/imx-firmware

i.MX meta-layer: https://github.com/nxp-imx/meta-imx

• ./meta-bsp/recipes-connectivity/nxp-wlan-sdk
  • ./meta-bsp/recipes-kernel/kernel-modules/kernel-module-nxp89xx.bb 
  • ./meta-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_%.bbappend

Just grab the latest tags.

Sebastian, thanks for the help on this one!  If you like I can take this one to the customer's private communities portal :). 

BR,

Michelle

0 Kudos

richardadams
Contributor III

Sorry for the confusion, but the JODY datasheet said to get the driver package from NXP, which is what prompted my request. Thanks for clearing that up.

Slight correction of the link provided for the WiFi Driver it should be https://github.com/nxp-imx/mwifiex not https://github.com/nxp-imx/mwiflex 

mwifiex not mwiflex

The drivers and firmware all have tags for imx, but I don't see any issues using it for a Layerscape build. I'll let you know if I have any issues.

Thanks for the help. We can close this issue as Solved, since my original question was answered, If I have any other issues we'll talk again.

0 Kudos