How to stop / (re)start a MAC?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop / (re)start a MAC?

tmoos
Contributor III

I wrote code to reconfigure the SerDes lane used by MAC9 (I'm switching from XFI to SGMII), but I can't send or receive network packets. Is suspect that MAC9 is not running properly after reconfiguration.

Questions:

• How can I properly disable the MAC?
    • In particular: How to "Disable FM_BMI proper port etc" as stated in LS1046A DPAA Manual)?
  • How can I properly enable the MAC again?

Additional information:

Before reconfiguring SerDes I stop the MAC as follows:

COMMAND_CONFIG[RXSTP] = 1
Wait until IEVENT[RX_EMPTY] == 1
COMMAND_CONFIG[RX_EN] = 0
Wait until IEVENT[TX_EMPTY] == 1
COMMAND_CONFIG[TX_EN] = 0

After reconfiguration I start the MAC as follows:

COMMAND_CONFIG[SWR] = 1, COMMAND_CONFIG[RXSTP] = 1
IF_MODE = 0x9002
STATN_CONFIG[CLR] = 1
Wait 1 µs
IEVENT = 0x0
IMASK = 0x0
COMMAND_CONFIG[RX_EN] = 1, COMMAND_CONFIG[TX_EN] = 1

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

LFGP
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello tmoos,

please develop  the next command, I need to have an idea what is missing in your configuration, please let me know the command output  

$ ifconfig
0 Kudos

tmoos
Contributor III

I'm currently working with U-Boot, not with Linux. U-Boot has no "ifconfig" command.

But my primary question is currently: Is it even possible to switch the SerDes protocol at runtime? I asked this here:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/Layerscape/Can-I-switch-SerDes-protocol-at-runtime/m-p/1640345#M12340

I would be grateful if that question could be answered before I continue with other implementation details.

0 Kudos

LFGP
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
to reconfigure the SerDes lane protocol at strict runtime it is not possible, because that configuration must be write in the RCW and you can't rewrite the RCW at runtime.
0 Kudos

tmoos
Contributor III

I got different reaction to my questions. A NXP employee said it is possible, but other NXP employees said it is not.

Howsoever, the question is discussed in another topic, see Can I switch SerDes protocol at runtime? 

0 Kudos

LFGP
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Two NXP employees have said it is NOT possible.

Please review the post

0 Kudos