Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommendation of how to split up the board

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Nodame on Thu Jan 21 23:04:12 MST 2010
I'd like to split up the LPCXPress board like as seen in Fig 2 of 'LPCXpresso Getting Started'.
It seems probably not to be easy to do so.
I'm afraid if the board would be broken.
Would someone who already made it please give me appropriate solution or suggestion ?
0 Kudos
18 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Xnordz on Thu Feb 03 15:41:07 MST 2011
thank's for sharing
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by noritan_org on Fri Mar 12 21:49:20 MST 2010
Hi,

I would like to let you know how I cut them.  Please refer following BLOG articles.

http://www.eleki-jack.com/arm/2010/03/lpcxpresso-2.html
http://www.eleki-jack.com/arm/2010/03/lpcxpresso-3.html

They are written in Japanese.  If somebody want to read in English, please let me know.  I will do my best to issue an English version of the articles.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Nodame on Wed Mar 10 01:07:22 MST 2010
Hi, all.
Splitting project has started in Japan.
http://www.eleki-jack.com/arm/2010/03/lpcxpresso-1.html#more
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Thu Mar 04 03:36:15 MST 2010
You can also use the 0.05" 2x5 header pins on the LPC-Link.  I've put both 2x10 0.1" and 2x5 0.05" connectors on my own 1343 and 1114 boards, and was able to connect using a 0.05" cable ... just pay attention to the polarity (pin 1 is marked with an arrow).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jnd on Thu Mar 04 02:46:36 MST 2010
I cut mine with lever shears. It's not perfect but good enough: straight and fast. At first I thought I'll make cable but why bother? Just put headers there and connect together, it's even shorter than single board :). Male pins down from the debugger so it could be easily plugged into other (bread)boards in the future.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by leon_heller on Wed Mar 03 20:58:54 MST 2010
How did you cut yours?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by noritan_org on Wed Mar 03 06:09:21 MST 2010
I am an another one who is misunderstanding  how it is meant to work.
[IMG]http://www.eleki-jack.com/arm/noritan-lpcxp-02-18-400.jpg[/IMG]
Anyway, it is working.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by leon_heller on Tue Mar 02 09:03:26 MST 2010
I use a Stanley knife to cut PCBs, scoring them deeply on both sides. They snap quite easily and can be cleaned up with a file.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_USA on Sat Feb 27 23:33:19 MST 2010
tkreyche:
There's a very weird design choice that was made about the two boards: once you split them, you can't use the standard 10-pin JTAG connector on the LPC-Link board to connect back to the LPC1114 target board. Instead you are forced to use a custom 8-pin single row cable. Was this intended to discourage people from using the target board for small production applications? It would have been easy to put a standard 10-pin connector on it. The last thing we need is yet another JTAG adaptor cable.

CodeRedSupport:
Hi,

I think you misunderstand how it is meant to work.

If you separate the boards and want to 'reconnect' them, you can just use jumper blocks across the two rows of holes. Solder the jumper posts into each side and then use jumpers across each pair.

tkreyche:
That's obviously not going to work if you mount the target board in any kind of case. The new 10-pin cable is now the standard - please use it.
--------
Thank you for the suggestion, we will definitely think about it when we design more LPCXpresso products. We were expecting that engineers would purchase or build target boards (that don't include a debugger) if they wanted to do any kind of production run. There was no intention to limit the applications of the LPCXpresso debugger and target board. Again for most uses the current system works well without requiring a cable to reconnect the debugger/target.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tkreyche on Fri Feb 26 08:11:53 MST 2010
That's obviously not going to work if you mount the target board in any kind of case. The new 10-pin cable is now the standard - please use it.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Feb 26 01:08:59 MST 2010
Hi,

I think you misunderstand how it is meant to work.

If you separate the boards and want to 'reconnect' them, you can just use jumper blocks across the two rows of holes. Solder the jumper posts into each side and then use jumpers across each pair.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tkreyche on Thu Feb 25 20:54:09 MST 2010
There's a very weird design choice that was made about the two boards: once you split them, you can't use the standard 10-pin JTAG connector on the LPC-Link board to connect back to the LPC1114 target board. Instead you are forced to use a custom 8-pin single row cable. Was this intended to discourage people from using the target board for small production applications? It would have been easy to put a standard 10-pin connector on it. The last thing we need is yet another JTAG adaptor cable.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rtos on Wed Feb 24 20:55:12 MST 2010

Quote: oahmad
I was confused about this because I thought in order to use the board as a jtag programmer for a custom board, I'd have to split it, but J5 can be used to program any custom board without requiring you to split it up.

To use the LPC-Link JTAG debugger with a custom board you don't have to physically split the board.  However, you do have to cut the traces between the LPC-link and the target demo board.  When the traces are cut, this makes the  LPC-Link a stand-alone JTAG debugger. If you cut the traces you can then solder on some header pins and use jumpers to connect and disconnect the target demo board as needed.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by oahmad on Wed Feb 24 08:05:27 MST 2010
I was confused about this because I thought in order to use the board as a jtag programmer for a custom board, I'd have to split it, but J5 can be used to program any custom board without requiring you to split it up.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by brucesegal on Sat Feb 20 22:10:24 MST 2010
I just used a pair of tin snips. Chop chop, two boards.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rtos on Sat Feb 20 17:53:50 MST 2010
Does NXP or Embedded Artists have a "recommended" method to easily split the boards apart?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by noritan_org on Wed Feb 03 00:27:09 MST 2010
Thank you for your suggestion.

At last, I have separated it off.

[IMG]http://noritan.org/img/IMG_0508-500.jpg[/IMG]

It takes about 40 minutes to make a GROOVE.
I will try to adjust the cutting line next time.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Fri Jan 22 00:05:52 MST 2010
It isn't really a trivial task.  I first took a razor blade to carefully cut a small groove in between the boards to at least give me something to guide the knife when I wanted to apply a bit more force.  Once I had a basic groove cut out, I basically just carefully get cutting with an exacto knife until I could gently snap them apart.  But I used a microscope since the header pins are a bit too close together and I didn't want to damage anything.  A bit more V-scoring on the bottom would have been nice, for example.
0 Kudos