Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project GIT integration - Which files?

Jump to solution
diegobarile
Contributor II

Hello guys.

I've successfully installed eGIT into my LPCXpresso v8.0.0 [Build 526] and starts to track my C/CC+ source files.
But currently I'm only able to control source files (.c, .cpp, .h); not the projects structure, configurations and settings.

For example when you add to source control a Microsoft .NET project (built with Visual Studio) you typically also add (at least) the solution file (.sln) and the project file (.csproj).

But a typical Eclipse projects has the .metadata folder with tons of subfolders and files.
Which file/folders must me tracked and which not?

I've also attached my .gitignore file.

Thanks in advance.
Diego B.

Original Attachment has been moved to: .gitignore.zip

Labels (2)
1 Solution
converse
Senior Contributor V

For Git (or any other SCCS), you only place the project under source control - i.e. the project directory (for Eclipse projects, this is where the .project and .cproject files are located). DO NOT try to place .metadata under source control.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
gewesp
Contributor I

@ Con Verse,

unfortunately this doesn't work for us.  If we add .metadata to .gitignore, LPCXpresso will fail to open the projects in a fresh clone of the repo.  This is very inconvenient because as the original poster mentioned, .metadata has tons of files and subfolders completely unrelated to the project.

We're investigating and will post a solution if we find one.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

Suggest you read the eGit Tutorial at https://eclipsesource.com/blogs/tutorials/egit-tutorial/  

However, you must NEVER place .metdataa under source control.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

For Git (or any other SCCS), you only place the project under source control - i.e. the project directory (for Eclipse projects, this is where the .project and .cproject files are located). DO NOT try to place .metadata under source control.

diegobarile
Contributor II

Thank you.

Diego.

0 Kudos