Connecting a Segger JTAG to an LPC1549 target and using LPCxpresso?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a Segger JTAG to an LPC1549 target and using LPCxpresso?

howardeglowstei
Contributor I

This was asked earlier but marked as answered when it wasn't. Please forgive it being asked again since I'd appreciate a specific answer to the question.

I have a Segger I'd like to use as the debug probe in the LPCxpresso IDE. That's preferable to just using a generic Eclipse as I want the LPCware support as well.  Segger's website says this works and offers detailed instructions. NXP LPCXpresso PRO Edition | SEGGER - The Embedded Experts says to set up the "GNU ARM Eclipse Plugin. " When yo chase that link it tells you to use the "Install software" option and points you to a stash either online or a downloadable copy of ilg.gnumcueclipse.repository-4.1.1-201707111115.zip. When you go to install the J-link debugger out of that, it reports that it needs 15 items, and then fails saying "Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found."

One suspicious thing is that the original link from Segger has the subject "LPCXpresso PRO". Does that mean you need the Pro version of the IDE to do this? I've asked Segger's tech support and don't have an answer yet.

I have tried Google and emailing the tech support for both NXP and Segger. I have spoken with a sales engineer at Segger who didn't know the answer. I can't believe that I'm the only one out here trying to do this - having a detailed answer will probably help more than a few people.

Thanks!

Howard

0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MCUXpresso IDE contains LPCOpen packages inside the \Examples folder of your IDE installation (in just the same way of LPCXpresso IDE did). You can import board and chip library projects for your part from the appropriate ZIP file that you will find there.

If that doesn't help, you would need to post more details of your projects - along with the Build log from the Console View.

For more details of using LPCOpen with MCUXpresso IDE though, please see section 4.1, "Pre-install Part Support" and chapter 8, "Importing Example Projects (from the file system)", of the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.2 User Guide.

PS: For further assistance on using MCUXpresso IDE, please post to the MCUXpresso IDE Forum at : https://community.nxp.com/community/mcuxpresso/mcuxpresso-ide 

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

LPCXpresso IDE Pro Edition and Free Edition are the same product (and installation). The difference in functionality is controlled completely by the license that is installed.

However with regards to your actual problem - I'm sorry but we can't provide any support on installing third party plugins into LPCXpresso IDE to add support for other debug probes that we don't support natively. My best guess would be that GNU ARM Eclipse Plugin is no longer compatible with the version of Eclipse that LPCXpresso IDE is based on. Or maybe you haven't installed some dependencies that these plugins require. But we can't help you with this.

If you want to use SEGGER probes with an NXP MCU IDE, please look at MCUXpresso IDE (http://www.nxp.com/mcuxpresso/ide) which provides built in support for SEGGER probes, as well as P&E Micro and  "native" LinkServer (CMSIS-DAP) probes.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

howardeglowstei
Contributor I

A second question then: I installed the MCUXpresso and it does indeed see the Segger,. The code project I wrote on the OM13056 won't build though, as the MCUXpresso install doesn't include the libraries and support for LPCOpen libraries that the examples are built on I used a skeleton version of the blinky code, built on support for my peripherals using the serial and SPI ports - and of course without the libraries, the code won't build. Is there an easy way of adding the LPCOpen stuff to MCUXpresso?

Thanks,

Howard

0 Kudos

howardeglowstei
Contributor I

Fair enough, and thank you for the prompt reply. SInce Segger says it works, I'll see what they say. In the meantime I'll try the MCUXpresso IDE instead. That supports the LPC1549 and LPCware?

Howard

0 Kudos