cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - LCD Controller and emWin

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

Hi there,

I have an LPCXpresso 4367 dev board and in our company have developed a custom pcb with a lpc4367 chip mounted.

In UM10503 datasheet i see that the lpc4367 lcd controller can use rgb interface.

What i want to do is to interface mcu of custom pcb with an LCD display that has ILI9341 controller.

What is the deal here? Only one controller does the job? Or do i have to interace lpc lcd controller with external lcd controller?

In addition i can't understand how emWin library works. Do i have to setup an lcd driver prior to using emWIn or emWin does this under the hood for a number of supported lcd controllers?

To make it more clear.

I have a custom pcb with lpc4367 and i want to add to lcd an LCD display with ILI9341 controller. I finally want to make a gui to be displayed in the LCD.

What is the best practice for doing so? What are the most suitable interafaces?

Please dont tell me in an abstract way to read datasheets. I have been reading datasheets thoroughly for a long time.

I would really appreciate some help here. I ve been stuck for a long time.

Thanks a lot!!!

0 Kudos
9 Replies

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

NXP can you tell me a valid 2017 guide of how to do things with emwin?

Emwin startup guide and porting guide seem quite deprecated.

0 Kudos

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

Also soledad,

There is emWin + LPCOpen 2.10 = INCOMPATIBLE ? | www.LPCware.com

At some point NXP replies and i quote:

Hi guys,

Let me try to clarify things a bit:
- The porting guide is about porting one of the emWin BSPs (as available on the emWin project page) to a different target. The BSPs are based on the older (and deprecated) CDL/PDL. LPCOpen uses a quite different way to handle NXP's portfolio of MCU products. Therefore, the porting guide does not really apply to LPCOpen + emWin.

So AN11218 seems deprecated to me!

Is that so?

0 Kudos

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

Soledad,

I would very much appreciate if you could tell me some basic roadmap about my first question in this post.

What is the basic arcitecture for interfacing LCD display to mcu? We have 2 lcd controllers that come into play?

One lcd controller that is peripheral of lpc mcu and one lcd controller which in on board of lpc display.

Is this the case?

In my setup i have an ILI9341 lcd controller that is on lcd display and the lcd controller of lpc4367.

Can you help understand the basic architecture?

0 Kudos

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

If i cant make clear the basic architecture i cant follow AN11218 properly.

Quoting from AN11218:

change the BSP to support the LCD used on the target hardware, for this porting example the MCB1700 board. While the EA1788 uses the on-chip LCD controller of the LPC1788, the LPC1700 does not have an on-chip LCD controller and has to rely on the LCD controller integrated in the LCD instead. When porting to another type of LCD/LCD controller, the emWin Display Driver website (http://www.segger.com/emwin-display-drivers.html) should be checked to see what driver should be used for the target hardware and how to use this driver.

In my case that lpc4367 has its own lcd controller and display has its own ILI9341 lcd controller what controller should be configured?

0 Kudos

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

I have checked Application Note 11244 - Emwin Staring Guide and AN11218 about porting LPC1788 emwin configuration to MCB1700.

If i understand it correctly there no longer BSPs for various boards now? Mine is lpc4367.

There is only binary library and header files and i need to write driver for interfacing lcd with mcu?

Quoting from AN11244 page 5

The library packages only offer the compiled emWin library, source template files and the required emWin header files; the user needs to add specific source files to initialize the microcontroller and to allow the microcontroller to interface with the LCD. This option is recommended for advanced users only.

NXP also offers a number of BSPs. These BSPs contain the emWin library, emWin header files, and all source files required to run emWin on one specific development board, with one or more specific displays. These BSPs can be used for both evaluation and development; when porting emWin to another board, these BSPs can be used as a starting point.

I need a basic roadmap on how to start building graphics on LPC4367 and first of all how to interface LCD display with 4367 uC. I am kinda lost here!

Any help or tip?

NXP r u there?

0 Kudos

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Please check the application note AN11218, this application note illustrates how to port an existing emWin BSP to another board, assembled with another type of MCU and another type of LCD. This guide shows step-by-step how to do this by porting the Embedded Artists’ EA1788 (with on-chip LCD controller) BSP to Keil’s MCB1700 (without on-chip LCD controller) board.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN11218.pdf 

I hope this helps,

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

Hi soledad,

Thanks for the reply.

AN11218 is my basic guide for what i want to do from the beggining.

The thing is that porting EA1788 to MCB1700 has a code structure and terminology very different from LPCopen which is the main code helping structure for LPC43xx.

Specifically one question is this:

Quoting from AN11218

Note: When porting to another architecture, it is necessary to use other emWin libraries matching the targeted architecture. The libraries supplied with the EA1788 and the MCB1700 BSPs are compiled for the Cortex M3 architecture. The zip file of Pre-compiled libraries (which can be found on http://www.lpcware.com/content/project/emwin-graphics-library) contains libraries for ARM7, ARM9, M0, M3, and M4. There are two sets of these five binaries: one built with LPCXpresso and the other built with IAR’s EWARM. The latter can be used with the Keil compiler by simply changing the extension of the files from .a to .lib. Binaries built with Rowley’s Crossworks are currently not available.

I found the lpcxpresso emwin library but i dont know how to use it? The example code of EA1788 and MCB1700 has no .a or .lib files so that i can replace them as i did with other config files.

What does the above Note of AN11218 mean? How can i port and use the correct library?

0 Kudos

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

Ok i think i found that.

FIY in project NXP_emWin522_EA1788_BSP, inside GUI folder there are header and binary files of emwin library.

So i changed those files with Xpresso emWin 538a files from nxp official precompiled library.

0 Kudos

dimitrissideris
Contributor III

Any help plz???

0 Kudos