cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminating big gaps in SPI transmission

Jump to solution
chrispflieger
Contributor IV

I'm seeing big gaps (5 us) between each byte in the transmission. What's the cause and how do I fix it?

Here's my init and transfer function, I'm using the latest CMSIS LPCOpen code. I pretty much lifted this from the example. I'm controlling the CS manually.

void int(void)
{
    SPI_CFGSETUP_T spiSetup;
    SPIM_DELAY_CONFIG_T masterDelay;

/* Initialize SPI controller */
    Chip_SPI_Init(EVE_SPI);    /* Call to initialize first SPI controller for mode0, master mode, MSB first */
    Chip_SPI_Enable(EVE_SPI);
    spiSetup.master = 1;
    spiSetup.lsbFirst = 0;
    spiSetup.mode = SPI_CLOCK_MODE0;
    Chip_SPI_ConfigureSPI(EVE_SPI, &spiSetup);
    /* Setup master controller SSELx for active low select */
    Chip_SPI_SetCSPolLow(EVE_SPI, EVE_SSEL);
    /* Setup master clock rate, but start off slow. */
    Chip_SPIM_SetClockRate(EVE_SPI, 1000000);
    /* Setup master delay (all chip selects) */
    masterDelay.PreDelay = 0x00;
    masterDelay.PostDelay = 0x00;
    masterDelay.FrameDelay = 0x00;      // This can be as low as zero, but set to two to making debugging easier w/ a scope.
    masterDelay.TransferDelay = 0x01;   // The minimum is 1.
    Chip_SPIM_DelayConfig(EVE_SPI, &masterDelay);
}

/* Setup master transfer callbacks in the transfer descriptor */
    spiMasterXfer.eventCB = NULL;

static void spi_transfer(uint8_t *data, size_t size)
{
    /* Set up master transfer block */
    spiMasterXfer.txData = data;                        /* set master transmit pointer      */
    spiMasterXfer.txCount = size;                       /* set master transmit frame count  */
    spiMasterXfer.rxData = data;                        /* set master receive pointer       */
    spiMasterXfer.rxCount = size;                       /* set master receive frame count   */
    spiMasterXfer.dataWidth = 8;
    spiMasterXfer.sselNum = 0;                          /* set SPI select                   */
    spiMasterXfer.txIndex = 0;                          /* clear the transmit buffer index  */
    spiMasterXfer.rxIndex = 0;                          /* clear the receive buffer index   */
    spiMasterXfer.option = 0;
    Chip_SPIM_XferBlocking(EVE_SPI, &spiMasterXfer);
}

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris,

Yes, you are right.

If you call another SPI frame,  a lot of functions will be called again, so the big gap between the two frames(not between bytes in the same frame) is long, the SPI code is really a little redundancy, so if you very care about the execution time, I think you can simplify the SPI function, you can design it by yourself, don't use too many function calls.

If you don't want to receive the the SPI data, I think you can delete the receive code, it will save the code execution time.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
chrispflieger
Contributor IV

I made these changes:

Using Chip_SPIM_XferFIFO() instead of interrupts and changing optimization to -Os, brought the byte time to 1 us. (a 5x speed increase!) So, I realize that almost all the gap I saw was related to the the driver's overhead and function calls.

These times are acceptable, and I'll be implementing a DMA driver for large data transfers.

I think Chip_SPIM_XferFIFO() has a bug or two.

When I pass in rxCount = 0, and rxData = NULL, the driver gets stuck on this line:

while (SPI_FIFOSTAT_RXLVL(Chip_SPI_GetFIFOStatus(pSPI)) < xfer->rxCount);

If I pass in an rxData buffer and rxCount < txCount, I get a buffer overrrun.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris,

Yes, you are right.

If you call another SPI frame,  a lot of functions will be called again, so the big gap between the two frames(not between bytes in the same frame) is long, the SPI code is really a little redundancy, so if you very care about the execution time, I think you can simplify the SPI function, you can design it by yourself, don't use too many function calls.

If you don't want to receive the the SPI data, I think you can delete the receive code, it will save the code execution time.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
chrispflieger
Contributor IV

I checked by switching to IRQ based operation, no change. I tried other clock speeds, 12 MHz is the fastest, but setting it to 5 MHz gives me a true 5 MHz clock speed. Most everything else is working OK, including the USB MSC demo.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris,

Please give me the sample code package name, I will help you to test, and check it on my side when I have time.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
chrispflieger
Contributor IV

Kerry, did you get that code package I emailed? I still have this problem, but haven't spent any time on it.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris,

Sorry for my later reply, I have got your code.

I have test the periph_spi_sm_poll project, this is the SPI bus:

pastedImage_1.png

The time is just 640 ns between bytes, it's not long.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
chrispflieger
Contributor IV

Here's what I see. D0 is the clock - which each little burst is one byte. D1 is data, D3 is CS.

D6 is a debug pin set inside Chip_SPIM_XferHandler(), which shows that during the seven byte sequence it never exits that ISR and is just running as fast as it can.

This doesn't make much sense - each loop to process a byte is taking 5 us. Should the CPU be able to process it faster than that? I set the clkout to the main clock - it's 94 MHz.

NewFile1.png

0 Kudos
chrispflieger
Contributor IV

Hmm. What is the clock frequency on that capture?

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris Pflieger,

The SPI clock baudrate is 4Mhz.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
chrispflieger
Contributor IV

MCPXpresso v10.0.0.2

LPC54113J256

How would I know what LPCopen version I'm using? I downloaded it within the current year...

Is it possible this is a clock issue? I'm trying to get to 30 MHz, Chip_SPIM_SetClockRate(SPI, 25); but it tops out at 12 MHz.

I pulled the code from "periph_spi_sm_poll" into my project.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris,

Please tell me where you download the code.

You can give me the code package name, eg:

pastedImage_1.png

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
chrispflieger
Contributor IV
0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Chris,

Please tell me the LPC chip part number, and the what the lpcopen reversion you are using, also tell me your test project, I will check it on my side.

Waiting for your reply!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos