Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KL46Z board as USB Host

Jump to solution
rinipatel
Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to use TWR-KL46Z48M as USB Host for MSD.

I've tried examples given in C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.1.0\usb\example\device\ for USB mouse and USB keyboard and they work fine.

But while in a host mode, running the demo from C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.1.0\usb\example\host\ , the board is not being able to detect USB device attached to it via micro-USB connector. device_state is always being shown IDLE in APP_Task() call. I've checked all the jumpers setting required for hosting USB device on board. Am I missing something here??

Please let me know if there is any additional requirement to be fulfilled for the board to host a USB device, any additional API to be invoked or something else.

Thanks,

Rini

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rini Patel,

I´m sorry for confusing, I read FRDM-KL46Z. Unfortunately TWR-KL46Z48M is not supported in KSDK 1.1. neither KSDK 1.2.

Because of different pin configuration, there is considerable explanation.

For FRDM-KL46Z is needed KL46_USB_ID to ground through unpopulated resistor

usb_frdm.png

while for TWR-KL46Z48M is KL46_USB_ID connected to PTC8

usb_twr.png

And it is the reason, why TWR-KL46Z does not work on FRDM-KL46Z.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Iva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rini Patel,

We already have new version for KSDK, it is KSDK 1.2., we recommend to use this.

please, have you tested the same demo in KSDK 1.2. located at C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0\examples\frdmkl46z\demo_apps\usb\host ?

Best Regards,

Iva

rinipatel
Contributor III

Hello Iva,

Yes I've tested the HID demos located at C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0\examples\frdmkl46z\demo_apps\usb\host\hid\  using KDS_3.0.0. But getting the same issue. USB mouse/keyboard device state is always being shown IDLE. Same for the MSD(2 GB u-disk). Keyboard and MSD are not even getting powered up..

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rini Patel,

I´m sorry for confusing, I read FRDM-KL46Z. Unfortunately TWR-KL46Z48M is not supported in KSDK 1.1. neither KSDK 1.2.

Because of different pin configuration, there is considerable explanation.

For FRDM-KL46Z is needed KL46_USB_ID to ground through unpopulated resistor

usb_frdm.png

while for TWR-KL46Z48M is KL46_USB_ID connected to PTC8

usb_twr.png

And it is the reason, why TWR-KL46Z does not work on FRDM-KL46Z.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
rinipatel
Contributor III

Hey Iva,

This worked for me.

By providing KL46_USB_ENA signal via PTB11 gpio pin, TWR board is able to provide 5V VBUS to OTG connector and the FRDM-KL46Z USB Host demo code is now working for TWR-KL46Z.

Thanks!!. :smileyhappy:

neoxiong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello.

For the host application, the VBUS must be provided by TWR-KL46Z48M board. May be you should check below jumper or measure the VBUS signal of OTG connector.

pwr.png

derek_lau
Contributor III

The USB_ID pin can be used to indicate whether KL46 acts as a USB host or device.

USB_ID = 0, KL46 acts as a USB Host. Therefore, when PTC8 with pull-up goes low for a certain period of time, it can provide 5V output by setting the PTB11 pin to one. Or you can force to generate 5V output without checking the USB_ID pin.

0 Kudos
rinipatel
Contributor III

Hello,

kl46z_usb.png

Measuring the signal from pin 7(P5V_USB) and GND of U506, I'm getting ~4.6V, but from the pin 8(OUTA) and GND it's  ~2.8V. So Micro-USB connector is only getting 2.8V P5V_KL46_USB signal. Why is this happening, what needs to be changed to generate ~5V P5V_KL46_USB signal for host operation?

My current jumper settings are:

J18: 1-2 -> P5V_KL46_USB

J20: 1-2 -> KL46_USB_ENABLE

J21: 1-2 -> KL46_USB_FLGA

Thank you.

0 Kudos